SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashleynrtn

If you’ve bought all wood windows, please let me know your experience

agbhw
2 years ago

Has anyone gone with a wood window recently and is happy with the decision? Or filled with regret? Please let me know how it’s been, and how often you repaint.

Getting ready to start a house build a few years in the making. A southern colonial house with limestone exterior on the house, and true wood siding on the garage. Going with cedar shakes on the roof if we can swing it. The back porch is going to be wood, there is a lot of real wood coming.

My dream has always been something close to an old window … the true divided, wavy glass, all wood window. You know. Bringing that dream closer to reality is more like a new window with SDL and double pane. We originally had Marvin quote wood and aluminum clad, but all the local guys at the lumber yard talked enough to scare me out of an all wood window, the dream since, well, forever. They’re trying to talk me out of every thing we mention lol. But after listening to them so much, I was afraid an all wood garage (40’ x 30’) + all wood windows was too much time repainting every few years. Seems a lot easier to repaint a large wall of wood siding vs a wood garage and 38 windows. No experience with either so what do I know. (Wood siding garage would have casing built out of wood on site if we go aluminum clad)

We recently got one last quote after meeting with some millwork folks that do absolutely incredible work, they know what the classical orders are (lumber yard guys were completely clueless) and are urging us to go with the dream - an all wood window without casing, then they would add a custom casing on site. They are hopefully building our front entrance, portico, mantles, exterior doors, basically as much or as little as I can afford them to do.

I KNOW without a doubt which one will look better. 1000x better. The wood window with the millwork casing around. The all wood window is going to be about $8,000 more than the Marvin clad quote. I know what looks best but will we regret all the time spent on the windows down the road? Or if I go aluminum clad, will I regret not going with “the dream” since we are already using so much real wood on the project?

Just really torn here. Would love some nice feedback (Please) from someone who has a modern all wood window.

Comments (9)