SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Looking for Climbing Vine Kept in Container for Zone 5

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
last year
last modified: last year

I have a friend outside the US who lives at the base of mountains in an area that gets a maximum low temperature of around -28C (~ -18F). She says their air is humid as well. I am not sure how to factor that in. Online references suggest that their January and February humidity average 80%, and humidity in the Summer is moderate and under 50%. In any case, using a USDA plant zone reference, it looks like she is in the equivalent of a zone 5, borderline zone 4. Is there any chance that Climbing Hydrangea could survive in a container in such a climate, over the Winter?

If the answer for Climbing Hydrangea is no, then what would be a good candidate for a climbing vine that could survive such temperatures in a container? I need the plant to grow about 10 feet high and at least six feet wide and flower over those approximate dimensions. Since this would be a vine, the dying vines would likely be tied to a trellis on a patio exposed to the full temperatures of Winter. In other words, it might be hard to bring the plant inside, but if that is her only option I want to know about it.

Comments (14)