SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Wild black cherry trees, move or remove?

I have loggers working to remove a lot of trees from around my property, and yesterday I discovered a patch of wild black cherry trees!

I don't know if this picture will do justice, but:

I was facing East when I took the picture. They were all nestled in between a bunch of pine trees, but now they're in direct sun from around 2pm until dusk.

It looks like I have one in the back of this picture that's about 10' tall, it's the largest but sparse. I have another to the left of the picture that you can't really see, it's more like 8' tall. There's a third there that's not pictured, it's actually the largest but I don't see any leaves on it so it might be dead.

Then you can see three in the center of this picture; the largest is about 7' tall, the smallest is more like 4' tall.

You can see how close together they all are, though, which can't be good long term.

Would you recommend:

1. Leave it as is, let nature decide who stays and who goes;

2. Cut down all but the one that's in the most desirable location;

3. Cut down all but the largest; or

4. Either (2) or (3), but dig up the others and relocate them instead of cutting them down?

Or, are wild black cherry trees never going to be that pretty, so I should just eliminate them anyway? I actually bought several pyramid-shaped trees to go in this area, so they really don't fit in with the new plan at all! LOL

Comments (7)