SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_339647040

Slow stitching kits

Jilly
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

An ad for these popped up on IG; I’m very intrigued. I think they’re beautiful and charming, and would make great gifts.

https://wattleandloop.com

From the site:

”I thought it might be helpful to explain a little about the fabrics that your kit contains and how best to use them to make the most of the unique qualities of each piece of fabric.

I source new, vintage and reclaimed fabrics from across the world to use in the Wattle&Loop Kits from English country brocantes, French flea markets and American & Australian vintage collectors. When searching for vintage fabrics for the kits I make a point of trying to choose fabrics that may not be of much use to other sewers or crafters because of holes, stains, tears, old worn-out embroidery etc. I believe it is these ‘imperfections’ that add the magic, personality and story to each artwork. In my own work I always make a point of using these ‘features’ of the old fabrics to my advantage to help tell the story of the piece. I do not try to hide them.“

Have you ever done anything like this? I’m not very experienced with sewing or needlework, other than basic cross stitching kits. I’m wondering if this would be way over my head. The video makes it look easy, but I can imagine mine turning into a jumbled mess of looking like reject pile fabrics.

Comments (44)

• DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago

That's really beautiful. I have not done any needlework in a very long time but regularly have things pop up in my Pinterest feed. They are all tempting to me. I see things like these all the time - not kits though.

And then there's punch needle which is probably more my speed.

Jilly thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Those are beautiful, DLM. I’ve been looking into punch needle, too, I like the style of it.

I used to cross stitch a lot, and just remembered I did (simple) crewel pieces as well. Love those.

• Related Discussions

cross stitch ornament kits

Q

Comments (0)
    Hello I am looking to replace some insturctions I lost. I have emailed Dimensions but they havent been able to help me yoet. I am looking for the instuctions to 8660 Christmas Keepsake --I have them half done but lost the sheets during the years. Also 08730. Have you ever started kits--put them away for awhile and come back and the container is half there? Please email me directly if you can help me out. Who knows--Dimennsions might come thru also/ thanks playdirt@hotmail.com
    ...See More

Quality of Cross Stitch Kits

Q

Comments (2)
    I recently worked on a Janlynn kit and had problems with the thread knotting up on me, even though the thread was not twisted. I contacted the company by email who offered to send me more thread. Since I had finished the project, I asked for another kit to do for our new grandson's birth. They sent me another kit, which I am currently working on. This time the thread is not knotting up AS BAD. Definetly contact the company, and it you cannot get satisfacation then think about purchasing new Aida cloth, and thread you are satisfied with. You also might find a link on their website to exchange color numbers from theirs to DMC. Good Luck!
    ...See More

Competition to win a free Victorian cross stitch kit

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi all there is a competition going on and the winner will win a Victorian lady cross stitch kit with free postage anywhere in the world. Here is a link that might be useful: Enter competition
    ...See More

converting cross stitch to an afghan pattern

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank you both for your help. I will get the crosstitch pattern and see how intricate the color scheme is. Thanks for the knitpro site I had plans on making a afghan from some favorite cartoon charcters and had the pics but had not put them to a graph yet and this was a big help in that. So I will be playing with that site for awhile. Thanks again for both of your help I really appreciate it and i love your tigger afghan it looks great.
    ...See More
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

So pretty! I can sew, and I used to cross-stitch, but I do not know embroidery stitches. I think these kits would probably be out of my league.

Jilly thanked Tina Marie
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Tina, I think they’re out of my league, too. I recently bought an inexpensive (beginner) embroidery kit and struggled with it quite a bit. I think I’m missing the sewing gene.

I can cross stitch up a storm, but everything else is a challenge.

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

Jinx, look up dropcloth samplers on etsy. They are easy to learn stitches on, and end up looking kinda cool. I think wattle and loop is way overpriced. You can also get books of iron-on patterns, apply them to your own fabric and buy DMC floss in whatever colors you want.

Jilly thanked Sueb20
  • Sueb20
    2 years ago

Oops, I looked quickly and didn’t realize how intricate the W&L kits are. Maybe not so overpriced, but if you haven’t done embroidery, I would recommend practicing with less expensive options first!

Jilly thanked Sueb20
  • DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago

As usual with Pinterest they now think stitch work is the only thing I want to look at! This popped up but I think it's mis-titles. Should be SEE how people are creating.... not LEARN how

https://mymodernmet.com/embroidery-applique/2/

Jilly thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, Sue! Great advice, I’ll look up what you said. I think you’re so right in that I need to start with something easier, and not as costly.

• Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, DLM, for that link!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Those are really pretty. I'd call that applique. The term 'slow stitching' is a new one for me.

Jilly thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Carol, me, too … I’ve never heard that term and didn’t know if it was made up or not.

• jmck_nc
    2 years ago

I gave two of those kits to my mom during Covid lockdown to try to keep her engaged. She did a beautiful magnolia one but didn't want to do the protea. I gave that one to my son's MIL when she was having surgery last year. My mom (an accomplished crafter, sewer) found it difficult. But she was also 94 at the time!

Jilly thanked jmck_nc
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

jmck, those sound lovely!

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

I’ve taken a few ”slow stitching” classes and basically, they were just embroidery classes!

Jilly thanked Sueb20
  • texanjana
    2 years ago

Jinx, those are so pretty. I learned embroidery as a child and also used to do a ton of cross stitch. I don't think my eyes could do that anymore, but I might try an embroidery one.

Jilly thanked texanjana
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Jana, I so wish I’d learned as a child. No one on either side of my family sewed. I started doing cross stitch in my 20s.

I do have a magnifying light if I take it up again. :D

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

What gorgeous pieces, Jinx. My favorite needlepoint kits are from England as well. Their colors and wool are TDF. My mother made me one panel of a William Morris triptych from Beth Russell needlepoint. If the other two are to be made, it will require hiring the job out.

I ordered an embroidery kit a few weeks ago. It sits unopened. I learned to needlepoint as a child, but am not very good at it. I really need to try the embroidery. Surely there is a YT out there to help me get started.

Jilly thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh, Zalco, your mother’s work sounds so wonderful!

Good idea about YT, I’ll check into that if I get a kit. I got a bit burned out making jewelry, but will probably start that up again, too.

• bpath
    2 years ago

My mother did a lot of needlepoint, crewel, and appliqué work. In cleaning out her sewing room I found more projects, some started and some still in the package. She didn't seem to get into repurposing textiles in this way, though. Perhaps she'd had enough of doing that out of necessity growing up.

Jilly thanked bpath
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ahh, bpath, what treasures to find. :)

I don’t have anything of my mother’s. Not one thing. I so wish I did.

• Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh, NOC says hi to everyone. :)

That is HIS driftwood. We brought it home from the lake years ago, to have for looks, but he quickly claimed it as a scratching post and perch. He loves that thing. :D

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Those prices are OUTRAGEOUS. Buy a coloring book, go the the fabric store, you could get what you need for well under $10, and it would be custom to your decor.

Jilly thanked arcy_gw
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

I have looked at (and coveted) those Wattle and Loop kits before and decided I am too old to tackle one. My crewel embroidery skills used to be pretty good but it has been too many years since I did any of that, or cross stitch either. Once my close vision started deteriorating, it wasnt as much fun, even with a magnifying lamp. Slow Stitching is a new term to me. That would be my speed though.

Jinx, if you have a good needlework shop nearby, there could be someone who teaches a class. I had someone teaching me the stitches which really helped. No YT back then, although that would clearly be helpful today for tips.

Jilly thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Outside, I’ll look for classes nearby, thank you!

I think I definitely need to start with simpler (and less expensive) projects.

• Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Interesting, Carol, that makes sense!

• lascatx
    2 years ago

I agree -- it is basically a combo of applique and rustic embroidery. It looks like the only stitches required are a straight stitch, a running stitch (short stitches in a row to make a line) and a French knot. The French knot takes a little practice but isn't hard -- it's tying a knot at the base of the thread on top of the fabric and then pulling the thread to the back. The two variations on straight stitches are easy enough -- and because the stitches are being used to create texture against mostly printed fabrics, I don't think precision is required. If you love them, the price would be the biggest issue for me. I'm not big on kits, but these look like you could have different fabrics or use them a little differently, and certainly could mix in some of your own, so you can personalize it. I've done collage applique and have linen fabric - I'd probably make my own. Jinx, if you lived closer, I'd help you get started, but I think you are in a different part of this big ol' state. Well, I'd still help you from a distance -- kit or no kit. I encourage makers and creators of all kinds.

Jilly thanked lascatx
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, lascatx! Great info … and I so wish we lived close and could get together in person for lessons. :)

• Springroz
    2 years ago

I have a screenshot of that fig saved from several years ago, thinking I could copy, no, emulate it in the future!!!

Jilly thanked Springroz
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It’s such a cool design, Springroz! I really like it.

• lascatx
    2 years ago

Jinx, saw this and thought of you.

https://mymodernmet.com/hand-embroidery-stitches/

I thought it was connected to the site you posted, but now I can't find how I got there. Anyway .... While looking I did notice the few photos of customer done kits at the bottom of the site. Did you scroll down far enough to see those?

Jilly thanked lascatx
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I didn’t, las! Thank you for that link!

• lascatx
    2 years ago

Jinx, did you notice this link

https://mymodernmet.com/hand-embroidery-stitches/

Or the customer finished kit photos at the bottom? They might be a good indication of what you can expect.

Jilly thanked lascatx
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! I’m feeling excited about learning this. :)

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

Check out textileartist.org too!

Jilly thanked Sueb20
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Sue!

• localeater
    2 years ago

@Jilly- You got this. I taught myself embroidery when I was very young. I think I took a book of stiches out of the library. The library is you friend. Probably spent too much time reading novels about Victorian ladies and their needlework. I also did cross-stick and needlepoint. I havent done it for years but have been eyeing projects lately.

Also I dont think it's a crime to overpay for a 'kit' that will make it easy, approachable, and convenient. It's not necessary, but if you have the expendable cash, and you want it, go for it.

Here's a very easy starter kit, from Etsy, it's purpose is to teach, and it's very inexpensive. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1158598933/embroidery-kit-beginnerbeginner?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=embroidery+kit&ref=sr_gallery-1-9&pro=1&frs=1&organic_search_click=1 

Jilly thanked localeater
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, local! Will check out that link!

Wish we all lived close and could have an embroidery club. :)

• Kswl
    2 years ago

There is a textile arts group that meets weekly in our community. They frequently display their own appliqué work, which is intricate and beautiful. They also make simpler designs on washable blankets and throws for our local women’s shelter and for kids entering the foster care system.

I concur with Carol‘s assessment of the term ”slow stitching” and would also liken it to the ”slow travel” phrase that is so popular now on travel fora,

Those kits are lovely but the finished size is much too small to be useful IMO. It’s too small to be used for a pillow as is, it could only be an inset piece on a larger pillow front which would be a lot more work so sew. Framing those small textiles (6.5 x 8.5”) doesn’t make a very effective show unless you have a lot of them for impact and interest. One or two little bits of embroidered applique, especially as unrelated as those kits are, would not make a great framed installation. I often see baby names in that type of smaller framed handwork in a nursery, which is a good use for it. They are very beautiful, though. The cherry blossoms, if larger, would make a lovely pillow front.

Jilly thanked Kswl
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, Kswl! How wonderful about your local textile group.

You made a good point about the finished size … I was so intimidated looking at all the scraps, I didn't think of that. :D

• Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I just came across the London Craft Week account on IG, and these beautiful trimmings:

These were done by Brian Turner Trimmings: https://instagram.com/brianturnertrimmings?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I have one tassel on our entry closet door, and have a new appreciation for how they’re crafted.

(I’m going to be repotting my poor Peace Lily asap.)

• Kswl
    2 years ago

Those trims are gorgeous!

It occurs to me that a professional (or probably AnnieD or My3dogs) could ise any one of those finished kits as the front panel of a beautiful evening purse or small fancy bag to carry to a wedding.

Jilly thanked Kswl
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I was just thinking about My3dogs, miss seeing her here. :)

• lascatx
    2 years ago

Kswl, the way those kits are stitched with raw edges and such would make a bag made with them a fairly short lived bag -- but for a special occasion maybe it doesn't matter. There are things you could do to stabilize the fabric and have less fraying. Could be interesting.

Jilly thanked lascatx