SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sojourn35

Need help finding the right backsplash

sojourn35
2 years ago

After realizing I made a huge mistake with my backsplash, I would love any input/suggestions for my kitchen, these pictures are pre-backsplash, the counter is a creamy white with grey and cream veining. Thanks in advance!!

Comments (37)

• chispa
    2 years ago

Do you want something that blends or is bolder?

Do you know the name of your counters?

sojourn35 thanked chispa
  • chispa
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You seem to like that pretty blue!

Here is an idea using a similar color. This tile is Ann Sacks and expensive and the scale a bit too big, but gives you an idea what color would look like in your space.

Southern Charm in the Pacific Northwest · More Info

Pratt & Larson tile, comes in many different colors.

Barton Creek || New Construction || Austin, Texas || Second Kitchen · More Info

More Pratt & Larson

Newtown Square 2 by Molly · More Info

sojourn35 thanked chispa
  • Related Discussions

Need help finding less expensive backsplash options!

Q

Comments (5)
    Daltile Glass Horizons- Waves 3/4" mosaic lists for $60 but is available for about $30. It's more greenish looking than the Sonoma.
    ...See More

need help finding frame for tile in backsplash

Q

Comments (5)
    I had originally given someone leftover pieces of cherry wood from the beadboard on the hutch so he could build a frame for the tile. That never happened and the wood is long gone. So even if I bought more I'd still have to find someone to build a frame. I guess I need to visit a real frame store. Michaels' didn't have anything that would work. I don't have a camera right now and the best explanation I can give is to picture a heavy piece of cardboard cut into a frame shape and placed around any tile. It will look like it's "stuck on top of the surrounding tile" to some extent and that's also why I need a frame as thin as possible ... to minimize that effect.
    ...See More

Need help finding paint color to match my new slate backsplash

Q

Comments (1)
    We are in the process of installing a slate floor with natural hickory cabinets and used a light grey from Lowe's called gravity. I was going to go with a darker grey, but my kitchen is on the north side of the house and only have one window, so I decided to go lighter. I also am going to have a slate brick backsplash and the color goes well. I just wanted to keep with the slate colors, though and it also goes well with my copper canyon granite as it also has alot of grey in it. Good luck. I am sure whatever you pick will look lovely.
    ...See More

Need help finding a non-white backsplash for a White kitchen

Q

Comments (9)
    My first project with glass tile involved my removing two columns of mortared mosaic glass squares because I didn't like the angle of my tile cuts. In the process of pulling it down I cut myself (no big surprise). What was a bit of a surprise was the surgery I needed two months later to remove a shard of glass lodged on the tendon of the middle finger of my right hand. It could have severed that tendon at any time, which would, of course, have been disastrous. He needs a wet saw, a diamond blade for it, personal protective equipment (I wore goggles, boots, gloves, but my gloves weren't leather) and health insurance! Regarding the tile, seeing all the samples together, Tusk has the right undertones, and would be my choice. You can choose anything you like, of course, but I don't think Gardenia is the right one. I am partial to the glazed thin brick and show it below in Alcatraz and Glacier. I totally get it if you feel you already have enough brick! But this may be a better color family for you.
    ...See More
  • sojourn35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Chispa, Thanks I would like something that blends, my last mistake was too bold and busy, didn't like it, here are some ideas, I think I'm having trouble picking the right right shade /tone that flows with my counter

• sojourn35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Chispa, those are soooo pretty, but I'm afraid to do that, especially after the expensive mistake I just made with the backsplash, so I'm playing it safe

• chispa
    2 years ago

Something that blends is good too! Have you tried matching the white of your cabinets?

sojourn35 thanked chispa
  • sojourn35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I have, and I'm not sure why but when the white tile is next to the counter I seem to not like it, it's almost like it's too stark or brings out a yellow hue, if that makes sense.....but maybe I'm being too picky

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

Not being too picky - whites are really hard to match. Bring home all the white samples you can find, and if none of them work have you considered going with a pale gray?

sojourn35 thanked kandrewspa
  • sojourn35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, I think you're right either a pale grey, off-white or beigey grey

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

Whites are really hard to match just right. I think a soft blue or soft green in a plain subway would be absolutely beautiful in your space and couldn't possibly look like a "mistake".

Or a soft grey:

sojourn35 thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • chispa
    2 years ago

Ideally it would be great if you can find a few tiles you like that have full grouted sample boards that you can borrow. I've never had an issue being able to borrow sample boards. They usually just ask that you return them in a day or two. It makes a huge difference to be able to see a large sample board versus just having one or two loose tiles.

sojourn35 thanked chispa
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

so you're going to remove it, eh? lol

so many choices. You have River White granite? or something very similar?

here is river white w/white cabs and a few diff options to give you a preview

BTW, if you would have chosen a white irridescent random bar tile it would have looked like this:

so pretty

here's a soft gray tile. meh

a white subway. Yawn.

gray glass ( the mistake was putting it on top of the 4" piece) subway in a stacked pattern. a little cool looking

a white hex w/soft blue edges. better.

this is White Ice granite, but I do like the dark hardware and darker tile.

You need more than just tile. personally I think you have to much silver tone. I'd get a vent hood w/ the wood trim like the one above w/the black herringbone. then I'd try some diff hardware (black or a soft gold) diff pendants. (the ones you have are a bit too small and hung too high)

Bring in a runner, some wood cutting boards for decor

If you want white tile, just leave the white wall. if you want to add 'jewelry' to your kitchen, then go w/something other that a white subway.

Look at Tilebar Portmore tile. it's similar to Cloe. comes in this square or a subway (2x8)

In fact, go over to Tilebar and look around. you get 5 samples for $5. or a few tiles

Portmore tile above, along w/these other changes

cutting board decor. what color is your wall?

look at this white kitchen as an example. painted island, warm wood stools, diff pendants and a bit of greenery. the shiplap is somehting you could do on your other wall

Put in a wood shelf under your bay window. put some plants on there. to the right, hang up a nice piece of artwork.

gave you a white island and new pendants.

trim out the island w/MDF trim, paint,

any color. I like this charcoal gray shade.

sojourn35 thanked Beth H. :
  • sojourn35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

WOW Beth, Thank you for all these great ideas...Yes River White Granite, can't remember wall color name but it's in the greige family. I actually liked just having the painted walls but did want a little more sparkle...it is so helpful to see all these tiles with my countertop!! this is what I needed to see

So I really love that first tile but I can't find anything like it, any suggestions??

Thank you for all the decor ideas also, these are all fantastic!!! Thank you for taking the time to help me!

• sojourn35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Chispa, uh, I didn't even know premade sample boards were a thing, who or where would I find such a thing??.. LOL.. in fact I just found out the hard way I should have made my own sample board

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I have looked all over for that tile and can't find it. I've found similar, but not that muted, irridescent version.

I have come across an almost identical color to that one in this subway tile. (they have so many diff colors and finishes w/their tiles, you'd have to go to their site) ,

Oceanside casa calif satin white

Just enough variation to keep it from being boring

heres another similar random bar to that other one. honed white marble and glass

you need the thicker pieces like this one^ This one I like. (you must use a white thinset w/this)

https://backsplash.com/product/ba1155-marble-glass-linear/

when it's all one color, it resemble this (although this is a soft green color)

white marble and glass, it's pretty I like the hardware on these cabs

And I also like the darker wall color. you wouldn't have to pick this slate blue/gray, but I think going w/something a tad darker will make the white pop better

a glazed brick in a soft gray set in a vertical stack

Tilebar has similar under the Cadenza line. check out Wales gray or Thunder

Might as well pick up a sample of their Nabi Harlequin in the natural white:

Montauk in Fog (they also have Gin) Tilebar.

I love this one

https://backsplash.com/product/ba631613-white-modern-marble-chevron-mosaic-backsplash-tile/

another version shown w/black hardware, marble tray, wood cutting board and other items.

Seneca tiles, Glacier blend.

I'd switch to this gold hardware. And here is how you decorate your countertop. try getting a few of these items, especially the wood tray/board. This tile is newport also from Tilebar. grab some samples. (wayfair and home depot carry it under IvyHill

• sojourn35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks again Beth! You found so many beautiful tiles, I was looking at that Montauk and I really like that chevron tile...I think I may have some trouble getting over my fear of picking another tile and/or playing it too safe with my choice

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

as another suggestion (I added a few more pics to my above comment, don't know if you got all of them)

tumbled white marble has a similar appearance to that glass tile you asked about

you could try some glass in a few of the uppers and display some pretty ceramics. either a clear glass, or a seeded glass would wor. shown here w/soft blue subways

this is really pretty. notice the vent hood again. diff pendants, light over sink, gold hardware. The tile is nice. if you did a white or softer gray color, the slight variation would work

As a suggestion, Get yourself a vent hood like this, with the wood accent (I did a similar one to mine but w/walnut) and try the glass in the doors on either side

here. what do you think? vent hood, glass door, new pendants, island centerpiece, cutting boards, the tile is the 5" Cloe tile in the gray.

I keep harping on your vent hood because I think the white one would look better w/your style.

here's the one I did w/mine. I trimmed it myself w/the walnut to match my trim around my window. I also have walnut shelves over my coffee bar area.

diff type of venthood. solid color shown w/marble countertops and white on white.

This color is Tundra from Winchester tiles. I like this too. if you granite has gray/green in it, this color is perfect.

glass upper, gold, and dark tile. I still like this look. and with River White, I love it!

Tilebar has this tile if you want a sample of this too!

bring in this runner to go w/it

can you post a photo showing the color of the granite, and a shot straight on showing the aisle leading to the stove? Stand back from the dishwasher but shoot a pic straight on toward stove area

if you switched to some gold

These are the stools I did in my kitchen

about that other wall, what if you did something like this white paneling/shiplap on that blank spot, with some wood shelves or even artwork?

I think this wall spot around the window is a missed opportunity for something cool. either art or a large wood shelf under the window w/plants, or a dark color,

maybe something for the bay window bottom shelf. like wood or tile?

did you know they make sheets of wood mosaic tile?

you could even do this wood tile on that entire wall around the window! (if you did a plain white backsplash tile)

so imagine this wood 'seat' portion on yours, being done in the wood tile (or some other tile)!

this is an actual mosaic tile they did on the window seat portion. some color like this w/plants would look so cool on yours!

then you could put some other plants in there

or some type of vibrant color tile? maybe a cement tile? if thats too thick, go w/something thin like a glass tile of some sort. just something w/a bit of pattern/design

btw, here's how that tumbled white marble (i posted further up) looks

sorry if i'm bombarding you with too many things. its just when I see something and get a vision, I want the homeowner to 'see' what I see!

• sojourn35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

No worries, I love being bombarded with these ideas, that's how my brain works too! I can definitely see what you mean about the hood, I really like the white with wood trim. It's so great you brought up that window, I have been struggling with what to do there and just talked about glass tile, but as far as putting anything else there, the cats would never allow it and they would end up throwing it on the floor... LOL...

I might take more photos of the countertop in the daylight tomorrow, better color rendering

backsplash ideas · More Info

• sojourn35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beth I also like your ideas for that blank area around the window, it's refreshing seeing this space through your eyes, this is all great, thank you!

oh and those wood mosaics are so cool

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

what about something like this for the window area?

your granite has a lot of beige tones to it. (unless it's your lighting?

Cloe tile in Cream

• sojourn35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beth I really like the first photo with picture wall and that bench under the window maybe

My counter does have some beige tones, although I think that other picture was lighting. I think thats why it's been hard finding the right tone that i like and I think thats one of my issues with the splash that's up now with bright white grout

Here are some more counter pics

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

oh ok, it's typical river white colors. (upgrade your bulbs to a 4000K

luckily you don't have a lot of cooler, blue gray tones in it.

you could pick any neutral color, any dark charcoal any gray (just make sure the grays are on the warmer end of the spectrum and not the bluer tones) taupe, silver, etc.

did you go to tilebar and order samples?

• sojourn35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I absolutely love that counter, it's my favorite thing in the entire house, I think that's another reason I was so disappointed with the splash, it took all the attention away from the counter, your eye just gets drawn there.

Yes I ordered a bunch of samples, all pretty neutral and I think most are warmer color/tones, but now I'm really afraid to pick any grays...after that gray mosaic mistake

• sojourn35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

ANY ADVICE???

I feel a bit silly since these are all so similar, but don't want to make another "mistake"... I'm really leaning toward the splendours, the first one and cavallo the third....but not sure I really like the 1/3 offset the 18" longer tiles are usually set in, any thoughts?

Splendours- white 3x12 glossy surface texture and some color variation--the tile shop

Retro- Perla 3x12 glossy, surface texture slight crackle --the tile shop

Cavallo (swiss coffee) 3x18 satin finish, surface texture, almost matches my cabinet color--tile bar

Retro perla(left) cavallo (center) splendours (right)

• Kay P
    2 years ago

Beth H pick of the tumbled white marble gets my vote

sojourn35 thanked Kay P
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

if you must go w/this type of tile, I think I like this left one. has a bit more of the taupe/gray tones

I think the white is too blah/too light next to the granite

swiss coffee is ok, but again, a little ho-hum

You didn't order the Portmore or any of the Tilebar or IvyHill suggestions?

here's the tumbled marble again.

not to be confused w/travertine tile. same texture surface, it's just done w/white marble.

https://www.flooranddecor.com/marble-stone/botticino-2-x-4-in.-brick-marble-mosaic-100566256.html

• sojourn35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I ordered alot from tile bar and Ivy hill samples; honestly after seeing pictures if the portmore, not sure I like that much color variation, i"ll try a tumbled marble although the chevron you linked earlier I really liked, was out of my price range. Oh I think I wanted to grab that floor and decor marble sheet but they were all broken and falling apart, I'll try to get that one, Thanks Beth!

• Dorothy Meyers
    2 years ago

I like the turquoise/aqua accents that you show in the first picture. I would add more of that color in your kitchen.

sojourn35 thanked Dorothy Meyers
  • chispa
    2 years ago

The Tilebar Cavallo (swiss coffee) looks drab gray in my kitchen, which is too bad because I liked the oversize arabesque shape they have. It had looked like a cream color in the photos I had seen.

I would go ahead and take down the old backsplash, so you can look at new options with a clean slate.

sojourn35 thanked chispa
  • sojourn35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Dorothy, Thanks, I love that aqua color! I actually have more decor than is in some of the pics... it's interesting that I saw where I needed to add more decor in the pictures as opposed to real life, weird right?!?

Chispa, lol, white pieces of paper taped up aren't doin' it for you? lol... there's other areas where I completely covered the old splash so I could "see" better, I just took the pic right there since the light is best there.

Interesting about the cavallo, it is a pretty color, like a light cream I'm just not sure about the length at 18"

• shwshw
    2 years ago

Following…

• T W
    2 years ago

Beth H - You went above and beyond in suggestions. Sojourn35 is lucky to have your design advice.

I'm wondering . . . why do so many designers suggest a marble backsplash? If behind the direct cooking area (stove) won't it absorb the splatters and stain?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

TW, I have marble tile behind mine. I just prop up a cutting board when I'm cooking. Or, if the cook is clean and wipes down the back area after cooking, it's fine. Sealing the tile buys you time before the oil sets into the stone.

• T W
    2 years ago

Well in my opinion, as beautiful as it is, marble is too high maintenance for a kitchen counter or backsplash in the cooking area. It's hard to understand why people so readily recommend it. (This is not directed specifically at you Beth.)

sojourn35 thanked T W
  • cee larose
    2 years ago

I'd love to see it with a cobalt blue backsplash! Gorgeous!

sojourn35 thanked cee larose
  • cee larose
    2 years ago

Cobalt blue glass or ceramic subway may be a little too much for some people. It all depends on whether you want it to reflect your color-loving personality; or if your preference is not exactly that bold, make it match what you feel when you walk into that room. Teal is another way to go, whether it be light or dark. If you like burgundy, go with that. But, to me, solids with depth-giving shades are the way to go.

The counters are the thing that supply the texture. I've read that playing it safe with the "timeless" look is not necessarily going to give you the feeling you're looking for. Good luck in your search.

sojourn35 thanked cee larose
  • missb_remodeling
    2 years ago

I ordered a sample of Portmore recently from Tilebar. Of course, one sample doesn’t show the color variations, but until I received the five samples, I wasn’t sure which white was a contender.

Tilebar wouldn’t guarantee that I would see the variation if I ordered 5 samples of Portmore. I could order a box, but the shipping wouldn’t be free.

I did some poking around and Wayfair sells it under the name Kingston. Free shipping.

Once I had the box in hand, i compared it to the Portmore sample. They both say harmony on the back which is apparently the name that Riad sells it under.

Random fyi for anyone considering Portmore.