SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_982279499

Koreanspice viburnum - disappointed in fragrance

Sarah B
2 years ago

This is our second bloom period with the dwarf KS viburnum "spice baby" and I am still not understanding the love for it. Unlike what everybody says about the smell being intoxicating and large enough to fill a yard, with mine you have to stick your nose in a bloom to smell it at all. But that's a good thing because what you can smell is not great. Kind of a spice/dung combo. I don't have a funny sense or smell or long Covid. Is it because it's young? Because it's a dwarf variety?

I did read that viburnums can smell badly after rains due to butyric acid, but it hasn't rained in days and it still stinks.

I tried to put a lot of fragrant things in the yard since I can't have them in the house (migraines) but I'm finding out a lot of things billed as fragrant aren't really. The Koreanspice is the worst yet because of all the hype. Maybe I am just the sucker plant growers dream of, but I thought I'd ask if there were any ideas. I read a rose forum once wherein people said their fragrant roses weren't fragrant the first year or so. I hope that is the case with this.

Comments (12)