SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_80524667430685544720

When do you cut your losses and start the remodel plan over?

Sara D
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have posted here before about waiting through Covid for the first contractor to come up with a bid. When we first talked in 2019 he was okay with doing remodels in phases and was willing to work within my budget. In March 2021 when he was not forthcoming with anything that looked like progress in submitting a bid for the final plans, he convinced me that his company was eager to do the job and I was the next project. The other started sometime in 2019 was still not complete. Those poor people!

Then in November 2021, he finally submitted a bid that was over 2 times what he knew my budget was, with no indication that phases were still an option. Time had passed, but I had not increased the saved funds from $115K to a magical $250K+. He was cheeky enough to say, "well at least the real estate market is boosting home values, that will give you solace."

I told him I was obligated to get a competing bid, since $250K+ was too large a project to not get more information. I contacted multiple other contractors. Of course the waiting list would be long. I renewed the permit myself, but it won't last forever.

One contractor that was interested in bidding has begun the process. I do like him. I think he would do good work. I had to meet with different cabinet makers, etc., as he has different supplier preferences. He also initally said he could see the project happening in phases. Last I heard he could not get an electrician to call back on a bid. So even a contractor can't reach out to their normal subcontrators? It is still a busy busy time for these folks.

I am contemplating throwing in the towel on this remodel. The permit, architect fees, etc. would all just be bucks in the breeze. We are talking around $10K, and 3 years of my life (without a real kitchen, and living in boxes). I could start over with a design build outift... and have them do a smaller remodel without major changes just to get someting done. I have some counters and some flooring on deposit... hopefully they could work with that? At what point is it just not worth it?

it is easier in the spring-summer-fall, because I can be outside more and focus on the improvements I can make to the landscaping. Though I feel I have to be mindful that a lot of construction traffic could make some of it couterproductive.

Any thoughts on how long to wait?

Comments (4)