SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

When do you watch Netflix, Hulu, etc?

dedtired
2 years ago

I subscribe to Netflix, Prime and just cancelled AppleTV. My cable provider offers loads of on demand programming. I really don’t watch them very often, even though some movies and shows interest me. My one neighbor watches movies, etc, in the morning with her coffee, which to me seems an odd way to start the day. I don’t like taking the time out of the middle of the day because i can’t get myself going again. Usually by the time I decide what i might want to watch in the evening, it’s too late to start.

When do you watch these shows? Just curious.

Comments (39)

• Eileen
    2 years ago

After Jeopardy.

dedtired thanked Eileen
  • Jilly
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Almost always at night. We sometimes binge watch movies or shows on cold/rainy weekends. I don’t think our TV has ever been on before noon, except Christmas morning for A Christmas Story. :)

We have Prime and Netflix (but will be dropping Netflix after next month — just want to finish Ozark).

dedtired thanked Jilly
  • Related Discussions

Internet TV/Netflix/Roku etc

Q

Comments (5)
    The firmware can usually be updated via an internet connection, a CD-R, or a USB thumb drive. I have found from testing prototypes, the most reliable firmware upgrades are usually from a USB drive first, CD-R next, and the internet last. Try going to the mfgs website and downloading the update file (for the appropriate media) and instructions. A two year old BluRay player without a single firmware update is bound to have it's share of problems. Quite a few brand new players need to updated right out of the box.
    ...See More

Anybody watching 'Who Do You Think You Are?'

Q

Comments (25)
    I've watched both episodes, and will continue to watch the rest of the 7-episode series (Lisa Kudrow, one of the exec producers of the show, will be this week's episode), but I have mixed feelings. As an avid genealogist, I think the series is great in that it shows folks how fascinating genealogy can be -- how it can help you to learn more about yourself by learning about those who came before you. On the other hand, I think it does a bit of a disservice by making it appear that it's so easy to find information to go back so many generations. Sarah Jessica Parker and Emmitt Smith both have a lot of money, and can afford to just jump on a plane to head off to a totally different area of our country, not to mention another country altogether; when the vast majority of us simply don't have that option. Another sticking point is that Sarah Jessica Parker and Emmitt Smith (and the other five celebs to follow in the coming weeks) have the benefit of several professional genealogists and archivists searching for information long before they arrive in town. The information is simply handed to them. They aren't spending hours upon hours looking at rolls of microfilmed records, etc. I have a World Deluxe membership to Ancestry.com. I have access to every record they have. Plus, I'm an arbitrator for submissions to Ancestry.com - both from the World Archives Project as well as corrections/suggestions that folks submit regarding records that are already online. Yet I continually hit a total roadblock when it comes to ancestors/family in Pennsylvania, because Pennsylvania has close to nothing available online. I wish it were as easy as the show makes it appear...
    ...See More

Do you get sad when your favourite tv shows end?

Q

Comments (46)
    pillog, I hear ya about the real political candidates. Fools, bullies, and jerks. Not all, but seriously, is this the best we can do? I agree that Alicia is no worse by a long shot, but really, besides being the real power (and charisma) between her and Peter, she's just a very beautiful face. Those early years were fantastic when she was recovering from Peter's betrayals and coming up through the ranks of Lockhart/Gardner. And Will. My friend thought he was a rat, but I loved him. So did Alicia. And now that she's risen to the top and beyond, what's left that's plausible? The quirky judges and courtroom scenes are fun, but the drama's gone. It happened to The West Wing and I hate to see it happening here. Although that new guy, the one who took Kalinda's place, is really cute.
    ...See More

Do you frequently loose your Netflix connection?

Q

Comments (6)
    If you lose your "connection", the problem is most likely not Netflix but rather your internet signal or the hardware and home network system the signal is flowing through. Rebooting hardware clears it and gives it a fresh start. A constant Netflix stream is likely the most challenging job your system has to deal with, because of the volume of data. If something is sub-par or too feeble to handle the job, a Netflix stream will bring out the problem. Fill in the blank - if some number of these things: your modem, or router, or "box", or mobile phone, or whatever the signal passes through, is/are old or not functioning properly, a new one might fix the problem. If the signal gets to your TV over Wifi, check the strength of the signal with another device in the same location. A weak signal (or interference from neighbors for those living in more dense surroundings) can also be a source of an interrupted signal.
    ...See More
  • daisychain Zn3b
    2 years ago

Your neighbour's movie time seems odd to me, but I am a morning person and that's when I get the majority of my tasks done. It's also my prime thinking time and, I guess, I feel like movie watching is down time for my brain. Watching in the morning would be a waste of productive time for me. The downside to watching in the evening is the whole falling asleep halfway through .

dedtired thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • 3katz4me
    2 years ago

We usually watch something in the evening after dinner. The tube is never on during the day except for the local news first thing in the morning.

dedtired thanked 3katz4me
  • OllieJane
    2 years ago

The only time the TV is on during the day, is when I leave-I turn it on for my dog-is that weird? I watch TV when everyone else goes to bed, unless there is a movie in the evening we all watch together. We have it all though, ugh! Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Peacock, Paramount etc. For some reason we never got Apple TV. I record a lot-hate commercials.

dedtired thanked OllieJane
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Like 2katz, our tv is never on during the day. We cut the cable/satellite cord long ago. We have an hd attic antenna that gives us quite a few channels. We do have a fire tv and amazon prime (which we have hardly watched). The Mr. will sometimes watch the History Channel and we occasionally watch Peacock (as we have trouble with that local station and I like Law and Order LOL). We've never used Netflix, Hulu, etc. I cant tell you the last movie we saw and we are not binge watchers. There is more on Amazon Prime and Peacock (and probably some of the other apps on the fire tv) that we have not really investigated. TV for us is usually late night, although on Tuesday nights, we do like the new FBI series.

@dedtired Is your neighbor older? Or maybe she falls asleep watching tv at night? It seems an odd time to me to watch tv, but to each their own. I don't sleep late, but I do like to "ease into the day" so maybe it's her way of doing that. I'm more productive mid-day even into the evening.

dedtired thanked Tina Marie
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

I would feel guilty watching during the day, which is reserved for high-powered and important, timely tasks like jigsaw puzzles. We have subscriptions to everything, because we will hear about one thing we want to watch and then cave and buy a new service in order to see it.

dedtired thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • deegw
    2 years ago

Is it a generational thing?

My kids seem to binge at odd times. And they also crowd around laptops with their friends to watch movies. It looks uncomfortable to me.

dedtired thanked deegw
  • Bunny
    2 years ago

When I retired in 2008 I made a no-daytime-tv rule. The only exceptions are sports and serious breaking news. However, once 7pm approaches, I'm liable to fall asleep watching anything on the tube. So late afternoon or dinner time is the best for me to watch movies. Which I rarely watch anyway.

dedtired thanked Bunny
  • cawaps
    2 years ago

I rarely watch in the morning, but have been know to spend a lazy afternoon binge-watching something. Mostly evenings, though.

Earlier in the day, I'm more likely to fill my idle time with reading or games and puzzles.

dedtired thanked cawaps
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

I only watch in the evening, otherwise it feels like staying home from school when you are unwell in bed.

We subscribe to everything too, annoying, but easier than picking and choosing in a family of six (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)

dedtired thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • bbstx
    2 years ago

After supper. I only subcribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Apple TV. Oh, and my local PBS station.

dedtired thanked bbstx
  • nicole___
    2 years ago

Netflix. We have a 7pm standing TV time, cat in our laps play time/date. We get out the feather on a stick, the cats zoom back and forth across the bed, as we sit propped up on pillows with English tea on the side tables. We just watched the 1st season of Life After Death With Tyler Henry. Then a mountain climbing show(beautiful scenery). Last night we watched "Amazing Interiors". On Prime, we watched Picard. We also pay for Sirius XM & often listen to Howard Stern interviews, for instance. I love Paul McCartney or Elton John. ❤️

dedtired thanked nicole___
  • yeonassky
    2 years ago

I have the TV on for company sometimes with my brunch which I eat more than breakfast. I have it on in the background when I am doing paperwork during the day as well. The problem is if DH asks me the plot I have no idea what is going on often because I am doing work.

I prefer the TV to music or some reason when I'm working.

I tend to wander off in the middle of the show as well. :-). No idea why but TV doesn't keep my attention most of the time. I am on Netflix Disney and Crave.

dedtired thanked yeonassky
  • Indigo Rose
    2 years ago

I recently discovered free streaming on my tv- I had assumed they all required subscriptions, but am enjoying Tubi at night after dinner and finishing my paperwork for work. After watching a few movies I discovered the British shows about renovating old historic structures and I'm addicted. I do try to limit to one show at a time so I can stretch them out for as long as possible. I love seeing the endings where the homeowners have finished and decorated all the rooms. I appreciate where on one series, they go back a year later and see how it's all finished if it wasn't before or how the homeowners are getting on/enjoying their efforts. On the weekend if I'm not busy or if I'm tired I occasionally might watch a movie or those British shows during the day. On Sundays if not busy I may watch a few "What's for sale shows" where people are brought around to lakeside properties. I know they're staged but I find it interesting to look at the homes, not what the people think or choose. (More likely already had purchased)

dedtired thanked Indigo Rose
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

I don't have cable. I am currently subscribed to Paramount+, Hulu, Netflix (sharing, shhh!), PBS Passport. I have Hulu only because I was offered it for $3/month - I've watched things on it a few times. Oh, just renewed Starz also for $3/month although there is really only one show I wanted to see. I also have free Peacock, Tubi, Hoopla, a couple of news channels, and more via Roku; and the many "live TV" channel offered via both Roku and my smart TV.

Did you know that there was a Red Green channel?

I watch in the evenings, and also need to make sure that I sit down to watch in the early evening, because I will surely fall asleep after 2 hours max.

dedtired thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • maire_cate
    2 years ago

After dinner and weekends. I often record shows which allows me to utilize the fast forward option on Comcast. A typical 60 minute TV show only has 37 to 42 minutes of actual filmed drama, the rest is commercials. A 30 minute show may only run 18 - 21 minutes without ads.

dedtired thanked maire_cate
  • pudgeder
    2 years ago

I turn on the news in the morning while I get ready for work. Not sure why, it's not a good way to start the day. LOL

Then I leave the TV on during the day when I'm at work.

Our local sheriff came out to one of our HOA meetings and suggested this as a deterrent to break ins. He said a TV being on makes it look like someone is home. Since we're out of the incorporated area of our city, we never get any police patrols through the area. The county will do so, if we request.

We occasionally watch a Netflix series, but "we" don't binge. I did binge some shows when I was iced in. That's about the only time.

We have Netflix & access to Disney. (DD connected us for when the grandkids are here. But we have better things to do w/the kiddos than watch TV. LOL )

dedtired thanked pudgeder
  • Bunny
    2 years ago

I cut the cord last November and everything, including live tv, is streaming. I put it off for YEARS because I thought I would have to give something up. There's not a single thing that's missing. I forget it's not cable or satellite, except the remote and on-screen interface.

dedtired thanked Bunny
  • runninginplace
    2 years ago

Generally no tv during the day for us except husband likes to have news on at noon while he eats lunch.

Re streaming: years ago we made a deal that I would quit cursing as long as he quit using derogatory terms that were ok when he was growing up but are objectionable now. That's worked well for a long time but it's challenging to watch a lot of streaming content because given today's production/script standards...need I say more.

WATCHING people curse on tv is somewhat of a nebulous half way zone in terms of our deal. He seems to equate that if the F-bombs are flying out of the tv speakers, it's license for him to come out with some archaic but obnoxious descriptor. Which is not the case!

Anyway, the other issue we have now is since we're in our downstairs apartment the (only) tv is quite literally 6 feet from the bed, to which he retires by 8:30 pm. So no television after that since I don't want to bother him. I have about one hour after dinner for television and as noted I'm uncomfortable watching content I know he is judging.

At this point if I want to see something other than home decor/flipping shows, I am streaming in the afternoons when he's not around. That's actually worked out well anyway because my tried and true wind down habit before going to sleep is always to read for awhile.

dedtired thanked runninginplace
  • Judi
    2 years ago

We have cable and Netflix. Viewing is usually at night, but for dh to have a chance at staying awake he prefers watching in the afternoon.

dedtired thanked Judi
  • nekotish
    2 years ago

We have Netflix and Prime - no cable. Usually don't watch til after dinner, but since I've retired, if it is a rainy day and my chores are done, I will sometimes watch a movie that I know my husband wouldn't care for in the late afternoon. Occaionsally when I have a tedious task in the kitchen, like, cleaning the fridge, I will put the TV on to a cooking show as sort of background noise.

dedtired thanked nekotish
  • l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

Hubs is a cable news junkie. I loathe it, although sometimes I do watch it. I loathe it because they just rehash and retread the same three stories over and over again. So when it is something relatively new, I will watch for a while if it is a journalist I can stand, but otherwise I try to find another room to be in. I like to read my news.

I watch TV when my brain needs a rest. Usually in the later evening, if I'm lucky. But if I'm not feeling well or the weather is getting me down, I am guilty of zoning out on the couch and binging something. Hubs and I used to watch movies on the weekends but we have not been able to find many lately we care to invest in. Hubs watches tv way more than me, which is why some movies I might like to watch he has already seen while I was doing something else.

When I lived alone I would often have PBS home and garden shows on while I was housecleaning on the weekends, but the selection is less where I live now, and I can't afford much of the streaming services. Like you, I have to stick to what comes free with Amazon Prime and Netflix. I wish I could afford "Britbox" but haven't invested in it because hubs has a thing against British tv. He bought our large screen tv and pays for the streaming service, so he's usually controlling what gets watched. Of course I could stream other stuff on my laptop somewhere else but I'm not sure I want to get started on that path. I might though. I bought a little stand so I can prop my phone on my desk for watching videos.

dedtired thanked l pinkmountain
  • bpath
    2 years ago

We watch broadcast in early morning over breakfast activities, might watch the midday news for a bit especially for the local weather segment, then Jeopardy at 3:30 here, and some evening news (network or BBC/DW etc) while making dinner. Streaming is for after dinner.

Except…

I will stream something during the day while I am doing something else. I have had, for example, Hairspray on a loop in Netflix while I go about preparing the parents’ house for sale or doing simple paperwork. I think I might be ADHD because i need something to keep one side of my brain busy so the rest of me can get to the task at hand. And by ”on a loop”, I mean I have it playing on my phone in my back pocket or a phone holster, for a few hours or more. I might actualy listen to it three times in a day. two years ago when I had to self-isolate, I did binge-watch a Netflix series because I had to have something to do as a break from whatever else I did to keeo busy, and I knew my dh didn’t want to watch it.

dedtired thanked bpath
  • teeda
    2 years ago

Always in the evening. I use streaming shows to help me unwind and sleep. Mostly British stuff. Same with books. Before I semi-retired I had a job that was crisis driven and quite vicariously traumatic. I still can’t handle violence or suspense. I have found British tv (after sorting through the murder stuff) to be a good and gentle sedative for.me.

dedtired thanked teeda
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wrote a nice long response and lost it. Oh well, looks like evening is the most popular time. I recently discovered Kanopy, offered free by my library system. Some good movies there and it’s free. Kanopy

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

I'm not sure it's adult ADHD, but I find music or some kind of audio helps motivate me to do housework, it makes me less likely to get bored or distracted and switch to another activity. Which is why the home and garden shows were good because I could listen in the adjacent rooms and if something really interesting popped up I could also move into the tv room and watch. I now have the opposite problem, trying to do housework in the area of the house dominated by hubs gigantic tv and trying to screen out "grievance" news reporting. Don't get me wrong, I find non-fiction tv interesting, but again, just the same rants over and over again is not news to me, and hardly soothing as I go about my daily cleaning routines.

Other than the visual, I have started to deal with this by listening to podcasts. My oh my what a wonderful world that is. In theory, I'm supposed to be able to go into my guest room "boudoir" in the evenings and read or do yoga or watch some type of media, but it's a small room and I feel claustrophobic. Hubs watches so much sports on the big screen in the family room that I get bored and it's not relaxing to me. When I watch sports, I'm pretty highly invested in the outcome and I can only take so many games. I have been watching some of the March Madness games but I can't take all of them back to back . . . I can tolerate him watching golf or tennis all day, I am much more detached from those sports. I didn't mind the winter olympics on, I could tune in or tune out to those pretty easily.

dedtired thanked l pinkmountain
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

Fascinating all the responses about ADHD and enjoying something going on in the background. Housework does not require much brainpower. It seems normal to need a more interesting distraction for your brain while you are doing mindless, borderline unpleasant tasks. I am pretty sure this was the idea behind the development of soap operas, btw.

dedtired thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Kaya
    2 years ago

Various times, but mostly early in the morning while I'm on the treadmill. Makes 5k go by faster. 😉

dedtired thanked Kaya
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

TV is on only in the evenings and we watch mostly BritBox and MhZ which used to be a local pbs station that showed international mysteries. It is now available to stream and is mostly, if not all, international shows. We watch mostly French programming along with some German and Nordic stuff. I am usually in bed by 9:30 reading.

• Lars
    2 months ago

No cable and no subscriptions for us, other than Amazon Prime, which we get because we already have Prime. In our living rooms, we have Samsung TVs and get Samsung channels in addition to the hundreds of local channels (of which we only watch about 40) we get through the air via antenna.

I am not averse to turning the TV on during the day, and there are certain afternoon shows that I like to watch from time to time, including Selling Houses with Amanda Lamb on DABL (I think). I think Amanda Lamb is an extremely obnoxious person and a horrible designer, but I like to watch her because she is so bad. I love it when her clients refuse to take her bad advice (generally regarding hideous wallpaper that she tries to force on them) and feel sorry for them when they allow her to steamroll over them.

I used to watch CBS This Morning years ago, but it's really gone downhill - ever since they booted Charlie Rose, and now I can only stand to watch the first 20 minutes of it - after that it is a lot of fluff and way too much time wasted on commercials. On occasion, I will watch Perry Mason at 9 AM while I am waiting for the effects of my morning BP medication to mellow out.

I would love to watch German and Italian shows, but we don't get any of those.

I probably watch Youtube more than I do TV.

In the afternoon, we often watch To Tell The Truth at 5 PM with Gary Moore as host, and Kitty Carlyle and Peggy Cass as permanent panel members. Unfortunately, the panel usually also includes Bill Cullen, who is extremely incompetent at asking questions of the guests. On weeknights, Just Shoot Me reruns come on after TTTT, and we usually watch that also. I can sort of watch these shows while I am making dinner.

We get quite a few British "Home" shows on Samsung channels, and I watch some of those in the evening. Sometimes we watch Dateline or Unsolved Mysteries in the evening, but we generally do not watch movies except on weekends.

• rockybird
    2 months ago

I got rid of my tv years ago. I watch netfix, prime usually at night after work on the ipad and after feeding and taking care of my four rambunctious parrots and two rowdy pups.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

Must've missed this the first time around.

We subscribe to both Netflix and Hulu, and hubby watches way more than I do - mostly afternoons and evenings/night time. I watch Pluto TV and YouTube more than anything else, and the PBS app too. Antiques Roadshow has its own channel on both Roku and Pluto, and I watch that, and the new episodes on PBS too.

Most of the time, I watch movies at night, or occasionally on a weekend afternoon. I don't think I've watched an entire movie in more than a month, tho.

• Arra Bella
    last month

For me, it's all about finding those cozy evenings when I can unwind with a good show and a cup of tea. But hey, everyone's got their own rhythm, right?

• nicole___
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

7:30pm, with a cup of Earl Grey tea, Down pillows all fluffed up & the cats in their heated kitty bed next to us, they get up every few minutes wanting kitty treats....we watch Paramount +, Star Trek Discovery, We're on Season 2, Episode 3. They are filiming season 5. We watch one a night. Then an HGTV decorating show or stream a PBS show....Nature, Nova, Motorweek, This Old House....if I can't sleep I watch The Price Is Right....THAT puts me to sleep. :0) The alarm goes off @ 5:30am. DH wants lights out by 9pm in the evenings.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    29 days ago

Dedtired commented on her neighbor watching movies in the morning. I don't now, but when my DD was in early elementary school, I would take her to school, then sit down with another mug or two of tea and watch a movie on TCM or AMC. Single parent, 12 hours shifts, those morning movies were my "me time". I didn't really care for the broadcast morning shows.

Updating from 2 years ago, I still have Peacock, mostly just to be able to watch pro cycling races; still and likely will always have PBS Passport; and currently have Max on a 6 month intro rate (one month to go, so I have to decide if I want to keep it - but probably will cancel). I had Britbox for 3 months and really liked it, will probably return to it at some point, maybe in rotation with Netflix.

I do binge watch a series if I am liking it, two episodes (or 3 if I stay awake) per evening - although many evenings I don't turn the TV on - until I've seen the full series. Then, it is on to the next.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Well, here it is, two years later. So funny to see old threads pop up. I actually have come to the conclusion that I prefer silence over television any time of the day or evening. When my son comes over he immediately turns on the tv then walks away. He just likes it to be on.

• Lars
    28 days ago

My mother used to keep the TV on at all times, and I hated that, partly because she would not mute commercials, and those got extremely repetitious and annoying. She said she could "tune them out," but I could not. I had a roommate who used to turn the TV on as soon as he got home, even though there was nothing on that he particularly wanted to watch.

I prefer music as background noise, and sometimes I put that on when I am doing housework, but not always. When I worked in an office, however, I always had music on, partly because my office had fluorescent lights that made a buzzing sound.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County