SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_528228756

Restricted Space for HVAC Ducts in Attic?

HU-528228756
2 years ago

Do I have a potential problem with attic ventilation or should this be OK?

The house will have 2 independent HVACs with their air handlers located in the attic over the great room. The smaller system will take care of the (pictured) area including the exercise rm, master bedroom, bathroom, closet and laundry.

The attic will be conditioned with foam insulation in the roof above.

They are framing houe presently. I can see the point where the roof is small and there are 2 'bump up' ceilings in the master bedroom - the space is looking like it will be very restricted. See arrow in image below. You can problably snake thru 2 flexible ducts at around 8" each (just my estimate, maybe 10" could be squeezed thru...). They'll make a little contact with the rafters but should generally retain their round shape.

I've requested a scuttle hole somewhere in the bathroom/closet area in case of need to access in future.

My concerns are:

• Only 2 ducts to the bath/closet and no real option to add more afterwards (HVAC has not been fully designed in detail at this stage)
  • General ventilation to this attic area that is somewhat restricted from rest of attic space (it's not airtight obviously but I've never had a conditioned attic space)

Comments (11)