SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_71372888

Porch or outdoor seating area on a budget. Some now, more later?

User
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We just bought an end-unit townhome on a ridge overlooking downtown skyline. We own the space between us and the building next door. It's on quite an incline, and right now is just grass.

The view is outstanding, and we'd like to add a better outdoor space. I'm thinking of perhaps a covered area like a porch, maybe enclosed or able to be enclosed one day for year-round outdoor seating. Also thinking of carving into the hillside beside us a bit to create a retainer wall area to sit and maybe little pathway up the yard to the street.

I'm told what I just described is SUPER expensive. I've no experience whatsoever in this. We can do some now and some later I suppose. The house needs a lot of small things and 1 bathroom reno and maybe the kitchen, so right now I'm trying to keep the outside at under $10k. Any ideas?

All that between the 2 yellow lines is our property. It's a fairly steep hill from street to where you see the concrete slab, where it levels out a bit, then is steep again down below (goes way down to more trees/weeds and to the edge of a street that are off-view here).

We are also talking about removing those 2 walls with siding on either side of the main patio area you see with the blue chairs and umbrella, and instead just put in a new railing all the way around. Right now it looks old and feels claustrophobic, and as the neighbors have a wall there we can open ours and still have privacy (there's no HOA). But current question is about the yard - which currently just has that tiny concrete slab... and whether to try to create a covered or fully enclosed porch ... extend out to yard beside the house and do some landscaping / seating area... or what?

Here's the view!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21