SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam1962

Do you use fabric softener? Do you use something in place of it? DIY?

Tina Marie
2 years ago

I've said on here before I would gladly do a commercial for Fisher Paykel. I love our washer and dryer. However, we have had said set for several years now and the washer needed a little attention. The inside of the tub is stainless, but for some reason, the agitator is PLASTIC. After several years of use, the little "arms" on the agitator were tearing away from the main piece. Glory be, I found a FP agitator on Amazon of all places. Anyhoo, it was very easy to take the agitator off and replace (one screw). I had just soaked and scrubbed the little cup that holds fabric softener (it will open) and was amazed at the built up, gummed up, residue of softener. So yesterday my husband put the new piece on, but first he is digging away at built up softener in the space under the agitator. Then he starts questioning me about what kind I use, etc. and is a little concerned if this could build up in the pipes, etc. So of course, I turn to Dr. Google (where I learn most everything) and I am surprised at all I read about fabric softener. Also interesting facts about detergent (liquid is better). I'm ditching fabric softener, at least what we have been using. I'm going to try baking soda and will buy some eco friendly pods (Dropps). I really don't need softener other than cold weather, I guess, as I mainly use it for static control. I do use dryer balls, but there are lots of clothing items that I do not put in the dryer, so I need something for the washer.

Have any of you tried Dropps or another eco friendly brand? Baking soda? I'm thinking the baking soda would be fine for most items, but not dark clothing in case of residue.

PS - I never, ever use dryer sheets.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor