SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missa_uhlman

What Floors go with Walnut Kitchen Cabinets?

Missa Uhlman
2 years ago

Our new kitchen is going to look something like the photo and I'm trying to decide on flooring. The house is 1960, and I'd like to keep the MCM vibe going. There are red oak floors throughout most of the first floor and I had been thinking we could just continue the oak into the kitchen, but that's not ideal in terms of timing -- we are renovating the whole floor and looking to move in asap after the bedrooms and bathrooms are finished, even if the kitchen is not quite done (there is a small second kitchen downstairs). We're installing the kitchen cabinets on the subfloor and putting in kitchen flooring after that because we have quite a bit of square footage between the cabinets and a really large island. So to extend the oak flooring into the kitchen means we have to wait until the kitchen cabinets are in before we can sand/stain all the oak floors together and get moved in. Sorry, that's a really long explanation! Anyway, what are some good alternatives to the red oak? I would prefer no tile because of the cold and dealing with grout. I want the color to be warm like wood, but I am scared to put a vinyl plank next to all that real wood. I can't find Marmoleum in a color I liked and I'm concerned about wear & tear from our kids. I really like terrazzo, but tile... :/ Thoughts??

Comments (26)