SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Designing a small orchard with complementary plants

I'm almost done clearing off a section of land that's roughly 100' x 75' (measured by walking it off, so that might be a little high). It has a slight downward slope, direct sun from the East with shade on the West from wild American Holly, field pine, red oak, and holly trees.

The local nursery is supposed to be getting 2 Granny Smith apple, 1 crabapple, 2 peach, 2 Pawnee pecan, and 2 Chinquapin trees (dwarf chestnut). These all get to around 20-30' when mature. I don't have them in yet, though, so it's not too late to change something if I do it soon.

I have plenty of Golden Euonymus bushes, Fringe Flower bushes, Sunshine Ligustrum, Butterfly bushes, canna lilies, irises, Autumn Joy sedum, and Datura to help fill in.

My thoughts are:

Along the 100' border, in front of the wild trees, a hedge of Golden Euonymus. It's my least favorite, and easy to propagate from cuttings so I should be able to fill in the entire hedge within a few years.

In front of that, the trees would be in a somewhat zig-zag pattern with the tallest in the back, giving 15' in between each. The crabapple is the prettiest, so it would go in the front and center.

In front of the trees, a line of Butterfly bushes; also easy to propagate from cuttings.

This entire area would use Mondo Grass as a ground cover.

Next would be a new section filled with Fringe Flower and Ligistrum bushes and Datura (annuals), then canna lilies, then irises.

This section would use Chocolate Chip Ajuga as a ground cover.

Then that would end at a rock border next to the lawn.

What do you think? Would everything work well together, and would each of these plants be fine with those ground covers?

Comments (37)