SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Selecting Hydrangeas for Zone 9b

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Please make suggestions on Hydrangea selections for a zone 9b garden. I want to put Hydrangeas on either side of the statue shown in this photo. Maybe directly behind the statue, I could put some kind of climbing Hydrangea or a plant that would complement Hydrangea and fill in the bare shrub behind the statue.

I was thinking of "Blushing Bride", which seems to be a species that Dr Michael Dirr - a top Hydrangea breeder - likes and recommends as a prolific bloomer. I definitely want a strain that continuously flowers.

I understand Hydrangea wants a lot of moisture. Should I build a raised bed on top of the clay loam soil and maybe use 50% organic material in that soil to keep the moisture retention of the soil high? Should I put some peat moss into that soil to get the pH to 5.5 or lower, to get blue-colored flowers? I someone has some favorite Hydrangea soil mixes to share, please publish the formulas for making those.

This location gets sun all day long. I understand that Hydrangeas have problems in full sun. Would Blushing Bride require a shaded location?

Comments (21)