SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mo_angela

80s stair safety - How can I change stairway?

M O
2 years ago

Creaky 80s open stairs. I have 2 young ones and I have anxiety over this staircase. I would like to have it rebuilt - I know that's $$$$. I plan on having a few design/build firms take a look at everything but I know nothing going into the process. So looking for ideas and things to look out for.

Details and pictures: first picture - stairway from downstairs living area (not my pics). I like a the overall look but 1) It's very faded cherry in person. 2) that support column on the left obstructs traffic flow (read: kids running) from the kitchen/dining area. Behind the camera is the main suite. Is it common to move the location of a staircase as well?

second - view going up - look ma! no handrails! up to the right you can see the doorway to a kid room - that's the part I'm most anxious about. I can't attach a baby gate at the top as the rail is too wobbly. To the left and back toward the camera is the rest of the upstairs space. To the left of the landing is the fireplace that goes all the way up. There's a loft opening there with the same railings.

third - Everything's pulling away. Has anyone seen a staircase like this before?

Comments (14)