SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_conroy

Drama & Advice needed with window leaks in new construction

Kelly conroy
2 years ago

Hello there,

thankful for any help or advice on how to proceed. We have these fixed windows in our great room and main bedroom, that had significant water leaks after a big storm this past summer. (We're in New England) The window people were out, and they were perplexed, and said they were all combined in the factory, and installed as one piece, and should not leak, however, they told me that if its a big enough storm, or wind, you'll get leaks. (is this actually true?) Fast forward to the other day- more leaks after a rainstorm (attached photos of water stains) Now- our builder is also confused and is saying this "doesn't make any sense- they have not leaked in months and the flanges are sealed - we have photos of it during construction" . I have a feeling noone wants to take ownership of the problem, and actually fix it... We moved in Dec 2020- and had a year to have the builder fix any issues, so this is an unresolved line item from the first year. Right before we moved in, the guy who was doing the framing of the home, found my email and sent me a list of everything that was not being done correctly during construction... one of which, the windows were not properly being flashed. Unfortunately, midway through construction the framer and the builders relationship soured over payment, and I was looped in with that drama. It is hard to know who to actually believe as the builder said everything's been properly flashed, and there is of course no way to know, unless you pull windows out? Since everyone who actually knows about home construction (builder/ window guys) seem to be 'so confused' by this issue, I've decided to seek some impartial advice, as I of course do not want a beautiful new home with leaking windows!! Greatly appreciate any advice or next course of action to proceed with!!

Comments (11)