SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
md7112

Pricing for Indoor Gas Line Extension

Mike
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'm in the DC area, and I would like to run gas service from the meter across my unfinished basement up to my kitchen for a range. The run is about 35 feet, and because I have the walls open due to a renovation project, everything is accessible. It is a nearly completely straight run with only two 90-degree bends.

The first plumber I contacted wanted $125 just for an estimate, and said he charges $100/ft for gas lines, and $500 for a "long form" permit. That would be roughly $4,000. I figured he just didn't want the job.

The second plumber I contacted came out for a free written estimate, and quoted me $3250. The estimate was not itemized. He did say while he was in the house that the existing service line was adequate to support the additional appliance.

This is not at all what Google prepared me for-- I was thinking maybe a third of the cost of these quotes. These quotes seem crazy to me, especially when materials are only about $200 and the job is relatively straightforward.

Are these quotes way off, or should I just start shopping for an induction range?

Comments (17)