SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_258024207

Master Bedroom + Bath Renovation Design Help

Ciarra Nelson
2 years ago

Hello -

I am renovating my home and wanted to run my design idea by you all to get opinions on if the design is workable / the best use of the space. Attached you will find the original floor plan, my idea ( the image with fixtures), old photos of the original layout and a couple renderings to give you all a better idea. Pay no mind to the textures, just the placement of fixtures.

Please do not comment on the previous condition. The space has been fully gutted, and these are the listing images from when I purchased the home.

Framing begins Wednesday, so I wanted to take any last-minute recommendations.

Comments (81)

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

I think the North wall is high enough that you could put the vanity there.

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m any option to eliminate the closet inside of the bedroom so it is all one area? Not quite too late. They are starting in about 3 hours.

• Related Discussions

Need help finding designer to remodel master bedroom and bath

Q

Comments (0)
    Does anyone out there know a good designer who won't break the bank to remodel a master bathroom and redecorate the adjoining bedroom I live in Cleveland Ohio thank you
    ...See More

Need help on master bedroom and bath layout

Q

Comments (15)
    Here's what I came up with. I can't see the point of having the toilet in such a large room. However I can see having a larger shower for the master bathroom, so I switched the shower and toilet, and moved the vanities to the outside wall. I then gave you a pocket door from the bedroom to the master bathroom. I squared off your master closet and moved your door to your room down a bit. Now when you walk into your bedroom you have a path to either side of the bed without having to make a jog around the bed. Your toilet closet is 5'2" x 3' wide which is plenty large. You can do as I'm doing and add a frosted glass swinging door to the closet to get more light into the room. The shelving area can be shelves, or a narrow closet, or??? The shower is now whatever the width of the room was by 5'2". A nice sized shower. I moved the entry to the closet down also.
    ...See More

Trying to find a professional to help remodel my Master bath/bedroom .

Q

Comments (1)
    I am not sure if you have Angie's List out there? We also have found that nextdoor.com is a great place for homeowners to find local contractors who have worked on their neighbor's homes (also not sure if that is outside of California). Referrals from family and friends. You can do a search on Facebook too believe it or not!
    ...See More

master bedroom w bath design

Q

Comments (28)
    If you posted a fully measured layout, people here could offer more ideas. Need to label distance from corner to window, distance between windows, windows themselves, and inches (is that wall EXACTLY 8 feet?). And for your own info, read up on bathroom codes and clearances, remember to account for wall thickness, and shop around online to get to know sizes that the bathroom fixtures you want come in.
    ...See More
  • suzanne_m
    2 years ago

Are these layouts 1 and 3?

I don't think the closets have an impact on any of them. If I had to choose between the two, I would pick one just because I like the tub size better (but I wish the toilet could be hidden).

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m we are getting close. 🥺

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m , sorry I did not clarify. This is one and three.

I really like the direction you are going in with the latest design though. If only there was a way to eliminate the closet inside of the bedroom, so that it could be all one space.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

I am working on it :)

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m also, dont let me get in your way but a wet room could save a little space. If you that is a bad idea we can scrap it.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I am not crazy about wet rooms. It has to be large to make sure that the water does not splash on the tub when you take a shower. Here is one. I put the tub on a deck to make it easier for cleaning as the tub as to be close to the wall. I also put a wall between the tub and the shower even though I would prefer a glass because you cannot put the plumbing on an exterior wall and that is where the plumbing for both the tub and the shower could go. That is the reason why I added a little glass wall beside the shower door.

Note that my software draws 4'0" thick walls. In reality walls are 4.5" thick. There are adjustments to make.

Note that I put the tub closer on one edge. That is to make it easier to get into the tub.

EDIT: I would put a regular door at the entrance of the bathroom.

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m , in your latest design the on wall where you put the shower and tub the kitchen is the other side. Although it is what I asked for, I think it sticks out to far. :( I still think we are getting close.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

What is the total length shown with my red line? I cannot read the 7'? 1/2" I just assumed that it is 7'1/2" and made the total length 12'4 1/2" total. Is that correct?

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

What is stick out too far? The closet? I will have to stop in about half an hour then I can come back only 3 hours later. So let's try to communicate as fast as we can.

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m ok I am here. The entire wall is 12'3".

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

What is sticking out too far? If you tell me soon I might be able to change something and correct the 12'4.5" wall. If not, I would make your closet 1.5" narrower. I have a friend who has a 6'6" wide closet with rods on both sides and it is ok.

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m , I think in your latest design the closet is sticking out too far making it more boxy. Also, if needed I can wait for you to return. The one you made right before that was better, but I would prefer to not have the seperate closet inside of the bedroom.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

ok. If you can wait, I will have more time to think and maybe come up with something better.

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m Yes I can wait. Talk to you soon.

• roarah
    2 years ago

You really should be using an architect or at least a bathroom designer. The last plan is the best but I would hyperventilate in a closet with two rows of hanging clothes that small.

Ciarra Nelson thanked roarah
  • Karenseb
    2 years ago

Building on Suzanne's idea and eliminating the closet in the bedroom, perhaps sometning like this would work. I'd probably make the closet 7 ft wide by 7 to 7.5 feet deep, depending how wide your tub is. I would like a 42 inch path between the tub and closet wall.

I put a bench next to the tub.

Ciarra Nelson thanked Karenseb
  • suzanne_m
    2 years ago

I forgot I have a dr. appointment. I will be back in about 2 hours

Ciarra Nelson thanked suzanne_m
  • Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m no problem. Happy appointment, will chat soon. Roof just started leaking 1 hour ago, so going to meet with them now.

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m here are better photos

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

Nice. I misunderstood where your slanted roof was. From the pictures you just showed us, it is on the West wall (I thought it was on the North wall). So either Karen's layout or my last layout would work. How do you feel about these 2 layouts? Is there another one you like better?

If you are leaning towards Karen's layout, I could draw it with the measurements to make it easier to discuss with your contractor.

EDIT: I am no longer sure about the layout layout. The slanted roof is in the way in the shower. I need to look at it again.

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m having a hard time visualizing it. In Karen’s design, I don’t need a bench. I think it makes more sense for the shower to go next to the bath tub. Vanity in place of bench and toilet in place of shower, but I’m not sure. In your design just not crazy about the second door from how it would look in the bedroom and the ceiling is slanted on that wall you have the shelves. This designer is cleaner. Brain is not clear. @suzanne_m

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m could something like this work while still giving good size to closet?

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

What is the height of the back wall?

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m 5ft, roughly

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

I might have other ideas tomorrow but for now this is what I came up with. I am not crazy about it.

The image you showed me uses a lot of space that I don't think you have. To put a tub in front of the shower you need to make a 7'6" long shower added with 3'0" deep shower + 2'6" wide tub + 3'0" floor space in front of the tub + 4" for the wall in between, you are looking at a space of 7'6" x 8'10" just for the shower and tub.

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m this works great and gives me everthing i wanted. Just realized you said you were not crazy about it. we may have time to discuss tomorrow.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

Maybe it is just because I am tired. I am not sure I will have time to discuss tomorrow. I might have 30 min. at lunch time (Eastern time) then it will be after 3pm. One thing I don't like about it is how far the towel bar is from the shower. You could possibly have a straight wall on all the length of the closet and put a pocket door then you would have a place to mount a towel bar in that nook.

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m and possibly have a single hook on the wall in between the shower and the vanity or even in the area where the bathtub is, that is something I could live with. I think at this point you have given me more than enough options to choose from. You guys really showed up for me.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

I like it better than yesterday night. I thought I should show you the one from Karen as a last option for you to see. I put the tub and shower closer together. I would probably put a standard tub with a deck at the end for you to put towels, soap, candles etc. It will be easier to clean since you don't have space on the back of the tub. You may not like it as much as the one above but I thought it was worth showing. Note that I offset the closet door to make sure that the bathroom door opens completely without overlapping with the entrance of the closet.

I have to go now, I will chime in at noon time to see what you have decided. Good luck!

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

Have you decided on a layout?

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

It seems that this is a rush job with 2 days to design on the fly - maybe even framing is done as of today. Design/build is real, however, success with that method is when you are standing in the space or have adequate information when you are not.

I read the comments, so barring overlooking some info, there may be some issues that arise after you frame one of the designs from the charette above:

- Where can you relocate the existing plumbing, specifically the toilet? Re-routing a 3" pipe is very difficult as it cannot go through joists and cannot be too far from the main soil stack because of slope, so if this is the 2nd floor you may be stuck with soffits on the ceiling below. Also, one of the old vanity's vents buried in the closet wall looks to be larger than 1 1/2", so it may be a wet vent from something below, which needs to be considered if removing. The other vanity can't tell how it was vented. Showers and vanities are more easily relocated, but just depends. Hopefully, you are on a crawl space.

- Where can you relocate the existing heat register? Sheetmetal ductwork has less leeway in where it can go than even plumbing.

- Will you be happy, after putting so much human capital (the money, time, and effort) into a bathroom remodel, and not having a window when you had a great opportunity to do so? Or living with concessions from a design-as-you-build process?

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

I agree with 3onthetree that you may be in a difficult situation. I recommend that you have a detailed discussion with your contractor. If he can do everything in your favorite plan then all is good :). If he can't and you don't find a good alternative and if you are stuck in having the bathroom done asap then I believe this one requires the least amount of changes. I really hope you can get the one you like best.

OR

It is actually not a bad one. It gives you about the same amount of closet storage as your initial layout and you get a standard tub length. I find a 6'0" double sink vanity is fine since you have extra storage with the cabinet. If later on you ever want to add a window, you would have the space for it.

The biggest disadvantage though is that you have the view of the toilet when you enter the bathroom.

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hello - i have decided here as a start.

@suzanne_m

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

Looking at the walls that are already mounted, have you decided on this layout:

or this one:

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

Clarra, have you decided on one of the two above? If so, which one? I made a mistake on the second one. The North wall should be 12'3", not 13'7". I made the same mistake for the West wall, it should be 13'7" not 12'3". When I was playing with the layout I turned it 90 degrees then I forgot to rotate it again to its original position.

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m I am playing with this one. My closet is roughly 8x7 ( do not quote me ) and it felt ok. i am leaning towards putting the tub where the shower is, toilet where the tub is and shower where the toilet is. Still trying to feel it through though.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

Are the joists pointed to in RED either supporting a 2nd floor or ceiling where two opposing joists end? There was an existing header in BLUE, as well as looks like one next to it with drywall still on it for the old closet. Logically those would have been framed in because it was a bearing wall. If so, your new framing has compromised that and does not support anything.

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@3onthetree , same framing two openings were just closed.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

No, in GREEN markups I'm talking about the existing header clearly seen where you removed the framing under the end of the header. On the floor, the darker plywood where the bottom plate once sat, where the jack stud once was aligned, and above where the old king studs were cut.

Is this DIY? Who is deciding on framing, plumbing, and HVAC?

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@3onthetree , no this is not a diy. this image posted was to represent the closet that was built inside. the opening that you see does not represent the door or any of the rest of the framing. the door opening is something like a 30” pocket door. My plumber is making the decisions. i am on crawl space and there is a lot of existing plumbing you can see.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

Ok, if all is well and someone knows about framing, carry on. But from what I see in the pics, you have maybe (3) existing headers, carrying the joists which either support a 2nd floor or are the rafter ties holding your A-frame roof from spreading out. The distance is labeled about 26 feet, which would be too far for unsupported floor joists or even single-length ceiling joist/rafter ties. So here is what I see, in GREEN are the headers, with the BLUE arrow pointing to the one as I did in the above comments, in RED is the direction of joists, in PURPLE are the 2 vanity stubs still sitting there after demo, in YELLOW is the angled ceiling:

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

I think you chose the best layout by picking the one Karen drew. Are you considering two pocket doors? If you have two 2'6" you will have interference between the two if the main door is 2'6" too. I recommend that you avoid that interference, I find it just too annoying to have that little part of the main door that is in the way when you enter and exit the closet. You have to walk around that part of the door which means you might as well have a 2'2" door ... that would be the space you have left to walk between the frame of the door. See below. If you really want two 2'6" doors then I recommend two pocket doors or the closet door being 2'2". I am guessing the placement of the toilet in the layout below and I am not sure you are going with a free stand tub or not.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    2 years ago

The plumber is making framing decisions? Is this a permitted job?

Be careful!

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Debbi Washburn , huh ? no where was that said. The question was who is making the plumbing decisions, The answer was the plumber … HVAC decisions, the plumber. Framer is working around the plumber. Yes I have permits.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    2 years ago

@Ciarra Nelson

" no this is not a diy. this image posted was to represent the closet that was built inside. the opening that you see does not represent the door or any of the rest of the framing. the door opening is something like a 30” pocket door. My plumber is making the decisions. i am on crawl space and there is a lot of existing plumbing you can see."

Sorry - This post was below one questioning the framing. So when I read you post, it made it seem like the plumber was making all your decisions.

Good luck with the project

• Ciarra Nelson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m + @Karenseb , progress is being made.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

Is the white pipe I see for the tub? Are you going with a standard tub? Well done on placing the water pipe closer to the vanity, that means when you rest in the tub you will be looking at the vanity/closet instead of the toilet.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living