SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
french_jenn

bathroom refresh/covering non-working shower

J. F.G.
2 years ago

Hi all

We have a first floor walk in shower that is leaking underneath all the tile from a poorly placed shower pan. I hated this bathroom's style since we moved in 5 years ago and bc we are a small family, don't need to use the shower any time soon.

So, we decided on a bathroom refresh, removing the shower from any use until we can afford a gut job (that's at the bottom of our To DO list of priorities). Fast forward to a huge transformation, one that I am thrilled about how it turned out. (pics are before/afters)

Anyway, I am planning to tile over tile the floor. It's in great shape so no issues there but I am trying to to figure out how to deal with the shower drain. I know I could get an extender to raise the height of the drain but I am also wondering if there is a way to just cover it up in some way that won't affect the drain down the line. (Because I would love if it weren't visible).

Could I install a backer board over the whole "shower" area and then tile over that? Of course the shower tile slants towards the drain so the floor isn't totally level so wasn't sure if that would be an issue or not. If so, should i put some mortar under the backer board to secure it to the floor?

Ideas appreciated

Comments (8)