SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Interesting Air B&B next to Daniel Popper sculpture, Joshua Tree

Lars
2 years ago

We were planning to go to Joshua Tree to see the Daniel Popper sculpture, but I learned that it is on private property, which I think is owned by this AirBnB. We would have to be guests of the AirBnB to go on their property to see the sculpture up close.

The hotel seems nice enough, but we are only an hour away and would not be interested in spending $1314 a night to stay there. Their website says that only guests of the ranch can go to view the sculpture up close. Filming permits start at $20,000.

There is an outdoor museum not far from this site, but I'm not sure that it is worth the one hour drive. At least it is free, and so if we have nothing else to do this week-end, we might go there.

Comments (8)

• cawaps
    2 years ago

My, they think highly of themselves. It's a lovely property and the sculpture looks amazing, but, wow, $1314 a night. I'll put it on my lottery list.

Lars thanked cawaps
  • Funkyart
    2 years ago

What a property -- and love the sculpture and other pieces on the property! That would by my idea of a romantic and rejuvenating getaway-- but way out of range of my budget.

Lars thanked Funkyart
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

Such a great sculpture (and property). Would love to see it in person.

Not in our budget, so I’ll just enjoy the pictures. :)

Update if you go to the museum! It looks like a set from Mad Max (the second one).

Lars thanked Jilly
  • pudgeder
    2 years ago

That's a pretty hefty cost of admission.

Lars thanked pudgeder
  • olychick
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Funny that they have pleas about others respecting and protecting the delicate flora and fauna, then erect a huge sculpture in the middle of it all that was certain to draw attention and is in no way friendly to the surrounding landscape. Their renters are surely going to trample and ruin much of what they claim to hold dear, as are the trespassers.

Lars thanked olychick
  • Lars
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The last time we stayed in Joshua Tree, we rented the Donovan Suite at The Joshua Tree Inn, and that was a couple of years before we bought our house in Cathedral City, which is a reasonably short drive from Joshua Tree. I think the Donovan Suite cost $180 a night back then, but I'm not really sure - it might have been over $200. Kevin and I had separate bedrooms, and there was also a kitchen and a private patio, and so it was worth the price. This hotel is at the edge of town, and so we had to drive to the nearest restaurant downtown.

We've decided not to drive to the free museum, but there is the Desert Arts Festival in Rancho Mirage this week-end that we might go to. Since it is at a mall, admission is free. I'll have to make a point of going to the farmers' market there next Friday.

We missed the tamale festival in Indio last December, but I think we decided not to go, even though we were in the area. We can make it next time, perhaps.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

That is fabulous. Places like this are why I love Airbnb. Hotels cannot compete with this experience. It sleeps 6 and is rather high end. What would 3 high end hotel rooms cost? And with a private pool?

We looked into Joshua Tree for spring break last year, but at that time IIRc you had to quarantine to visit from out of state. It was easier to go to Mexico, and so we did. Your post reminds me I still want to go!

Lars thanked mtnrdredux_gw