SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steph2348

Does everyone use conversion varnish for new cabinets now?

steph2348
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We're remodeling our kitchen and getting new cabinets. We have a 100 year old house, and like the look of deVOL cabinets -- simple but traditional. When I started to look at paint colors for the cabinets, a friend told me that almost everyone uses conversion varnish now for cabinets, not actual paint, which was news to me.

We're in CA, so I'm not sure but I think the cabinet maker has to use a water-based conversion varnish. I am setting up a meeting with the cabinet maker to ask these questions as well, but was hoping for some input here too!

My first question is whether there are any reasonable alternatives to conversion varnish that we could also consider. Does anyone use actual paint ever? It seems like deVOL does that, but what are the downsides? I've seen deVOL say that they do two spray coats followed by a final brush coat on their cabinets. Pretty sure they're using Farrow & Ball paints.

My other question is how the different options end up looking. Does conversion varnish end up looking sort of plasticky perfect? How shiny is it? If I want a more traditional, "could have been there forever" kind of look (not distressed or anything, but maybe something less perfect with subtle brush strokes), what would the options be, (and the downsides)?

Thanks so much for any input!

Comments (11)