SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Greetings to all; rose news

First, hello to bart bart, and I hope you're doing well, and your garden. It was good to see your greeting on the thread on compact roses.

I haven't been posting much for a while, partly because Houzz irritates me, partly because I haven't done much with roses in late years beyond maintenance. Some of this was pandemic-induced torpor; then, we had a very unpleasant summer in 2021 and I avoided the sun-blasted garden for months, choosing instead to clear brush down in the woods. But this fall I got some energy back with the first rains, and ordered fourteen roses from Tuincentrum Lottum in the Netherlands, my first rose order in four years. The order was divided between once-blooming old roses and Wichuriana ramblers, both classes that tend to do well here. DH dug the holes; I amended them with masses of old hay and sand, the latter a novelty. Organic amendment alone was still leaving the ground too heavy for certain kinds of roses I want to grow, warm climate roses and Hybrid Musks, so I thought I would try adding sand as well.

In addition to the purchased roses, I filled holes in the rose beds with plants grown from suckers or cuttings, or rescued from locations where they were doing poorly: HMs 'Francesca' and 'Kathleen', 'Mme. Zoetmans', 'Alfred de Dalmas'/'Mousseline' (I'm not sure which it is), a puny 'Austrian Copper', a red HP-looking rose, something I hope is 'Centifolia Alba', a 'Princesse de Naussau' that lost most of its roots getting dug up and which I hope will survive. May should be exciting.

We've had an unusually sunny dry winter, which has been bad for groundwater levels, but good for working outside. I cleaned up two major rose beds, noting from the higher quality of the weeds that the ground is slowly improving, and have spent pleasant hours shearing, pruning, mulching, filling planting holes. The garden is green in winter: the grass is bright as emeralds, the Italian cypresses stand up straight and dark, the olives are silvery, and all the other plants, eleagnus, rosemary, Leyland cypresses, add their color and textures. On a sunny day it's beautiful, in its untidy way.

In addition to the roses, we filled in parts of hedges, planting photinia, forsythia, honeysuckle (L. etrusca), kerria, and perhaps some other odds and ends; and I began planting a low hedge in front of the rose beds, using rosemary, Mexican sage, phlomis, and shrub germander. I want to continue the low hedge in front of both rose beds, but it will probably require a hundred plants at least, and digging to match, so is a major task.

Rain is forecast for Valentine's Day, and I certainly hope it comes, because we need water. Temperatures have been cool enough, but with the unusual amount of sun some roses have continued in bloom through the winter: 'Sanguinea' in particular, and, more recently, 'Comtesse du Cayla', 'Archiduc Joseph', and various other Teas. Spring is coming soon, but the early flowers are a few weeks ahead of their usual schedule: sweet violets, hellebores, early crocuses, miniature irises. The winter aconite and snowdrops are in correct seasonal flower.

Happy spring to all!

Comments (8)