SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_214525008

Landlord and Tenant Responsibility re Fallen Tree Branches

HU-214525008
2 years ago

HI,

Our landlord is out of the country for the year, while his wife lives less than an hour away.

We had a large storm a month ago wherein several large tree branches fell. He sent an email to check in and I sent several pics and told him about the branches. His response was that the HOA should take care of the big branches.

Well, they haven't, and this isn't the first time he's given us misinformation.. Several units in the community have paid to have fallen trees removed. I am not sure if the HOA is going to tend to the large branches, or maybe they haven't got around to it yet. Would you not assume that the owner of the property would take some responsibility and at least have his wife drive by to assess the damage, or confirm that the HOA will tend to the trees? I think it is out of sight, out of mind.

We as renters are not liable for removal of huge branches. The HOA here is very odd - they mow and remove leaves, but from what I can see, nothing else. I would assume the HOA will reach out to the landlord if it is their responsibility. We are in our 60s and not equipped to cut huge branches up and pay for their removal...it's not causing us any hardship getting in and out of the prop, but his lack of care is annoying. I also worry about chirping back from him about why "we" didn't take care of it. When we moved in, he told us all we had to do was take care of the weeds.

Has anyone dealt w such an issue before? We are house hunting so the limbs may be there when we move out!

Comment