SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_435456216

Native border plants for small yard

Christy D
2 years ago

I have a row of cottoneaster bushes that I'm sick of constantly trimming. I want to remove them and replace with native plants to hide the neighbor's 4' chainlink fence

My ideal border plants would be about 4 feet tall and 4 feet wide (or that wide when grouped). I'd love to have just a little strip of prairie grasses and forbs right on the edge of the yard, but I'm concerned about escapees. We have young kids and a small yard so at the moment I'm not willing to make the bed wider.

Soil is sandy for a foot or two then clay. Zone 5b (bordering on 6a) just north of Chicago. The bushes I want to replace form the southern boundary of our backyard (about a 30' stretch). That is the sunniest part of the yard, however, we do have a little tupelo that's beginning to shade some of the area. I don't need the plants for privacy, just to block the view of the neighbor's 4 foot chain link fence.

TONS of things I'd love to have -- Indian grass, purple and yellow coneflowers, lead plant, milkweeds, blue wild indigo, blue sage, rattlesnake master, joe pye weed, asters -- really the list just goes on and on. BUT I don't want to forever battle to keep things in bound. Also concerned with grasses flopping.

So, MAIN GOALS:

Native plants

4-5' tall x 4' wide x 15' long

Well behaved or easy to keep in check (not aggressive spreaders)

Here's a view from inside our house of the cottoneasters. The trampled down area is an ice rink in progress.

Here's the only decent summer photo that includes those dumb bushes (back left of the garden area)

Just for reference, here's what I did behind our garage where all the plants are hemmed in by concrete and can only escape by seed (stiff goldenrod, butterfly weed, purple coneflowers, golden alexander, little bluestem)

Comments (9)