SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmanuil_smorodinsky

How to fix a crack along seam of an integrated quartz sink?

Emmanuil Smorodinsky
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have an integrated sink manufactured from aquartz slab. After I let hot water run on it, it cracked along one of the seams. I heard a crack and saw the seam slightly widen. I stopped the hot water and let it dry. By next day, the crack completely closed and i was able to "fix" it by applying a thin superglue that penetrated by capillary action into the crack. This held for several months but eventually cracked again along the same seam. I re-applied it in the same manner, but this time it ony lasted a few weeks. I am trying to decide how to proceed. I don't expect superglue to work well again. First because of the repeated application and second because it creates a stiff bond and it seems the stone needs some room for flexibility to expand and contract. I'm thinking of using a small circular saw with masonry blade to create a cut along the seem to widen it to approximately 2 mm, put tape on the underneath of the seam with few small holes to let air out and then fill seam with a flexible epoxy or construction adhesive like PL premium max. Or some other glue which may be better. Most epoxies arent flexible but I've seen some advertised as flexible. Advantage is the can easily be tinted to match the stone. PL premium max should be flexible and very strong but may be harder to tint, if that is even possible. I wanted to ask advice on whether this fix is a good idea and also which glue people would recommend. I suspect it will be hard to find someone to fix this leak and most manufacturers will just want to replace the whole thing. I really appreciate any input.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio