SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tsdonal

Help updating a bland dining room!!

tsdonal
2 years ago

Can anyone share suggestions for updating my dining room???? Artwork…paint…captain chairs?????? Thanks

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    2 years ago

You need color. Find a nice rug that has some color in it, even a nice traditional one.

Safavieh Vintage Hamadan Collection VTH213 Rug, Red/Multi, 6'7" X 9' · More Info

Safavieh Heritage Hg654A Rug, Navy, 8'0"x10'0" · More Info

Then add some drapes or shades that pick up the color/colors of the rug. I might lose the corner cabinet and get a buffet for that wall instead. Do a gallery wall with framed prints:

Contemporary Dining Room · More Info

Gleneagles Country Club · More Info

• Carrie B
    2 years ago

The cabinet looks too big for the space, sort of looming. Can you put your liquor away in a cabinet somewhere? Get rid of that stand. I'd remove the mirror - do you need a mirror there? I can't tell what the art is, but it looks awkward on that wall with the cabinet - and too small. Add a larger piece of art with more color. Switch the rug out for a lighter, brighter rug.

• Related Discussions

Help w/ modern updates to bland beige exterior

Q

Comments (1)
    No room for shutters, I would replace that cover over the doorway for sure maybe with something glass and black metal, a new black front door with no storm door and just a phantom screen for summer a nice big black planter to the right of the door planted with seasonal plants
    ...See More

Bland dining room!

Q

Comments (1)
    Your pics didn't post. Try adding them in a comment, it usually works more reliably than adding them to the original post.
    ...See More

Help! Excessively formal dining room that I am trying to update

Q

Comments (7)
    In your first picture the walls are light and in the second they are red and green. I think painting the ceiling white and the walls (upper and lower) a light color would help. I would take out the "fussy" things...scounces, and ceiling medallion, A larger rug would update your room. Love the glass table and would like to see a centerpiece or runner on it. Nice room.
    ...See More

Updated Floor plans....help with kitchen/dining/great room

Q

Comments (29)
    This refers to Bedroom #2 which you indicated may be for an elderly relative. Your doorway into this bathroom is only 24” which will make it impossible for a wheelchair and difficult for a walker. I encourage you to remove or make more shallow the linen closet so you can enlarge the bathroom access door. Then make the Tub shower combo a Shower with low or no curb and a handheld wand. You never know when you will need this for an elderly relative or an immediate family member who has had surgery/broken leg. Make sure there is enough clearance on the sides of the toilet for grab bars and/or to assist in lifting. It would be simpler for this person to access the bathroom through one door instead of two, especially at night. You could remove the anteroom and make this a simple large bathroom with access door to hall and another access door to bedroom. It seems overly complicated in its current configuration.
    ...See More
  • Jilly
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

It’s very hard to see what everything really looks like … any way you could get a few pictures in daylight? A full-on one, no distorted lens view, and show what’s on the other side. No overhead light on, blinds open. Better views of some of the details.

Are all the chairs matching? Is the room open to other rooms? What styles do you like?

Sidenote: I have a runner of the first rug Sabrina posted, love it. It’s got great colors and is very soft.

• tsdonal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Hopefully this is a better picture.

• doods
    2 years ago

Not a pro but in my opinion you have an almost a lovely dining room. Love the furniture and the chandelier. For me, what you need is a big piece of colorful art on the wall between the cabinet and plant, then wooden cabinet under the mirror to balance things out.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Much better! :)

What a lovely room, the light fixture is fabulous.

I took a quick peek at your idea books — you seem to like a mix of traditional, transitional, modern. Is that what you’d like in here? I sure don’t think you need to make any drastic changes, it’s already so pretty, elegant, and calm.

Yes, I’d add art on the big wall, and maybe think about new chair pad fabric. Something with color and a pattern, possibly?

Are you open to a different rug? For example something traditional, but still fresh. Warmer tones:

https://www.rugs-direct.com/Details/LaurenbyRalphLauren-Tristan-LRL1299/138086

Of course it depends on rooms nearby. Any other rugs you can see from there?

Just showing these as nice examples of cohesiveness. Lots of inspiration pictures out there to help narrow down ideas you like and the feel you want. It already looks great, a few tweaks will elevate it more. :)

Or, do a nice wallpaper:

• tsdonal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks @jinx and everyone for the tips!

• PRO
    Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
    2 years ago

We think the only thing you might need is a large piece of artwork on the blank wall and maybe a more colorful rug. Here are some of our dining room designs to give you some inspiration.

Casual Elegant Residence: Dining Room 1 · More Info

Casual Classic Remodel: Dining Room · More Info

Pacific Palisades Family Room · More Info

• crazyhearts
    2 years ago

Good room, like what others have suggested. Idea: is there room to move the cabinet over to the wall by the windows, then balance with artwork on same wall and adjacent wall? Or flat against the wall on right in photo? Looks like having it on the angle takes up room, awkward........

• crazyhearts
    2 years ago

.....if moved to right wall, maybe reorientate the table?

• la_la Girl
    2 years ago

I agree with everyone - it's a nice room! I feel like it needs some patina/texture to warm it up.. I like the idea of a warmer rug. I would take the cabinet out of the corner and either center it on the large wall behind the table if there's room or move it out. I think it would be a fabulous room for some statement wallpaper - so many amazing choices out there 😍

• slab
    2 years ago

I agree with all of the above. I would either build up the mid wall trim to add more drama or remove the skimpy piece that is there.

• me not you
    2 years ago

I love the hutch but doesn’t look like there is much in there. Could you move it to the large wall center it open the doors to fill the space and use/ repurpose it as the bar instead of the cart? No rule says you can’t do that. Love the mirror. Try moving that between the windows and purchase two smaller pictures to flank the door (less expensive than larger pieces to fill the big wall). You have very traditional furniture and a modern fixture so looks like you might be looking for a more transitional vibe. If you like your furniture ( which is beautiful and the rug ) How about reupholster the dinning chairs in fabric that is transitional bright and a little funky (this is not too commital or expensive), you could also pick a color in the new chair upholstery that compliments the rug if you want to save that and maybe new paint color above the chair railing that pulls from the rug and new upholstery to pull it all together? The rug is very subtle so it could function like a solid color if you are afraid of pattern on pattern. A statement wallpaper on the upper portion of the large wall behind the hutch would be fabulous (but can be costly and permanent…..if you are willing but not completely sure about it try a peel and stick if you are afraid of committing to that). A new “color” on the walls or even just above the chair railing will make the drapes pop and you can keep those as well. Your room is beautiful just needs a little “jazzing” up but you don’t have to break the bank to do it.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

More colorful rub, brighter fabric on the chairs, new pain on the walls, new colorful artwork. Any one of those will change the room immediately. I am a rug person so I would just change out the subtle rug for one that’s not subtle at all, then use the colors in it to enhance the room. Love the idea of repurposing the hutch as your bar!

• husterd
    2 years ago

Cabinet as bar is brilliant idea. Try flat against the side wall. Reorient the table so more side room and looks long and elegant from adjacent room. If not work then on back wall with pictures either side so not look lost on that wall. Table as is. No need to hide the beautiful chairs with the white covers. An interesting colorful large centerpiece. A big bowl or grouping? No fake flowers. If cabinet fits on side wall then large picture or grouping on back wall with some color/interest to them. Remove too small bar cart. Plant not doing much. New rug with maybe some deep red would be nice but start with smaller no cost changes. Dining set is beautiful.

• nolanirvana
    2 years ago

You have a lovely dining table and chairs. I agree with previous comments- the room needs color. A rug with color and use colors from the rug to recover dining chairs. If you don’t want to invest in a new rug, add color with art on the wall. I would move the hutch out of the corner and like someone’s suggestion to use that for the bar and lose the bar cart. The plant doesn’t add anything, I would move that out of the room.

• Donna Collins
    2 years ago

How do you feel about dropping the chandelier? You obviously don't want to get it low enough for someone to run into the Sputnik rays but, unless you have very tall family members, it would benefit from being lowered to give it more presence. It's really the statement piece in the room, but it currently isn't showing to full advantage. It would also be nice to get a bit more light around the room. Sconces would be ideal, and you could use wall-mounted candle holders for a nice glow without the cost of an electrician.

I love the idea of moving the cabinet onto one of the walls, rather than in the corner, and turning it into a bar. You might also want to consider adding some color to the cabinet interior. If you don't want to permanently attach, you could insert painted, wallpapered or fabric covered panels that are cut tight enough to pressure fit into place.

No one has mentioned paint color. Your current paint and rug, along with the dark wood furniture and hardwood floor, tends to leave the room feeling pretty brown. A nice blue (either paint or wallpaper) above the chair rail would change the whole feel of the room. Maybe you even want to go further with the celestial theme by adding wallpaper to the ceiling. There are tons of celestial wallpapers to choose from. Dining rooms can stand to have a bit of drama!

Lighting Installed · More Info

• PRO
    lisedv
    2 years ago

I didn't read all the comments and don't know where you at in your project but here are my suggestions to modernize you traditional dining room. A few black pieces (baskets, pot, new bar, drapery rod), white slipcovers for your chairs with end armchairs in a different pattern (a white and blue print (or other colour). A large white vase with bouquet on your table. An area rug coordinated to your chairs. You can also install wainscoting painted white with a blue & white print above.

You can also install Peel & Stick wall paper at the back of your china cabinet (blue & white print) in decorate with white china, photo below to give you an idea...

Good luck with your project!

• dizzyd1
    2 years ago

I would not put just a single large piece of art on the wall. You might want to consider 2 pieces or a gallery wall. Keep the frames in a 2 color scheme like gold and black or gold and brown if you choose gallery. Pull some of the colors out of the rug for the art prints. I would consider getting 2 matching plants, palms, for each side of the windows. large greenery brings drama to that type of furniture. The plant you have in the pot is not large scale enough. maybe you could also move the bar cart and mirror to the wall inbetween the windows to see if it fits. I bet it would be lovely between plants! I love the furniture and the hutch looks fine there. there are so many things you could do in that space! a little demilune or smalle scale server and some pretty chatchkees on it..blue and white chinoiserie porcelain urn, in between the windows with that mirror above it as well. You could do shelves on the wall above the bar cart ..just tons of ideas. LOL...go to Ballard Designs and look at some ideas. have fun

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Love the idea of removable wallpaper inside the hutch!

• Sharma
    2 years ago

First of all you have beautiful wood flooring, dining light fixture and dining room set, and a good start on a beautiful room. With what other commenters have shared, here's what I agree with... 1) Move the hutch to center of wall opposite open doorway and use as bar instead of bar cart. It appears your hutch already has mirrors on the back to reflect whatever is in the cabinet. I wouldn't change that. Maybe add a light bar at the top to illuminate the inside. If I'm correct and you're taking the photo from your entryway into the dining room, then when someone arrives and enters the house, a glance to the left into the dining room and the back wall becomes the focal point of the room. Aligning with the light fixture (I wouldn't lower it) with the table centered underneath. The rug is fine, adds a little texture and is neutral enough to be able to add some color if you so choose.

2) Move the bar cart and mirror to between the windows. Now that the hutch is the bar, find a pretty urn or vase to set on top of the bar cart. No flowers, the urn/vase is your art. Again, perhaps something of color with metal to match light fixture/mirror. The mirror is now aligned with the light fixture and will bounce light back into the room.

3) Since the back wall is now the focal point of the room trying some peel & stick wallpaper to add interest and texture to the upper wall. Because the chair rail does not wrap the corners going into the kitchen, perhaps only add to the back wall upper half. Wayfair.com had a few I thought might work with your color scheme (no painting necessary) and compliment your rug, too. (Samples: Roca Moire by Brandon Studio (my favorite); Stone Wallpaper by Room Mates; Helsinki Papyrus Weave by Three Posts Baby & Kids; Damek by Dakota Fields; and Gullo Distressed by Three Posts).

4) Wayfair.com also had artwork that would compliment your wall colors, rug, white trim and metal finishes. (Samples: Bombshell Bloom 1 by Lark Manor-placed each side of the hutch. Perhaps on white shelf units with another small item of interest or purchased in larger size and hung on wall; Kidman Country Bouquet II by Kelly Clarkson Home-to be hung where mirror had been previously. Or maybe White Stained Glass Art by East Urban Home. I would not put a table or anything under the photo as this is a walkway from your entryway through to the kitchen entry door. For more drama/contrast there's Linen Fern I, II, III or IV-pulls out the darker color in your rug, but is not black. If you prefer abstract art then this is an actual photograph: 1X Photography Pearls by Maryam Zahirimehr; Tangled II, III by Wrought Studio; and Transparent Beauty III by Eva Watts.

5) About your plant :-) For one, it is too small. If you plan to have a plant in the dining room, then Wayfair.com has artificial trees, too. You could reuse the gray pot your plant is in as it does go with the color scheme of the room and rug.

You could probably find artwork, plants, frames, etc. at thrift shops/second hand stores and/or antique shops. And for probably less than what you'd buy through Wayfair.com. Lots to digest here. Hope you find it helpful and useful. And, of course, send pictures when you're done! Good luck.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Unless the campaign style cabinet is purposefully built to fit in a corner, I would turn it to be flat against that short wall behind it by the door. If its meant to corner, then for some excitement, angle the dining table too. If the cabinet can go flat on that short wall, then turn the table and rug the other direction. Plug in and light up the cabinet, and feature drinkware and liquor. Finish off the window treatment with two more panels. Get a larger, more colorful piece of art for the large wall. Hang wall pieces a bit lower; maybe 5-6" above the rail.

Dining Room · More Info

Georgetown Residence · More Info