SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Can anything be done when whipped eggs whites start to weep?

I was making a cake that uses 4 separated eggs – with the whites whipped to stiff peaks, then folded into the rest of the batter.

I whipped the egg whites first, so I could use the same beaters to mix the rest of the batter afterward.

But then I was interrupted for a good 20 minutes. When the time came to fold in the egg whites, I saw that they had started weeping. There was a good bit of liquid on the bottom of the bowl. At that point I didn’t know if they could be retrieved and re-whipped, so I went ahead and folded them in anyway.

The only times I have whipped egg whites - for years - has been to make meringues – and the added sugar stabilized them. I’ve never made a souffle.

So tell me what I did wrong, for the next time:

Was whipping the egg whites ahead of the rest of the batter a bad idea? Or just the unexpected delay did it?

COULD they have been re-whipped? I did add cream of tartar, but that obviously didn’t work.

Could they have been over whipped?

I was not sure when I got to stiff peaks. I looked at some pictures ahead of time, but I couldn’t tell. I did hold the bowl upside down, and they didn’t move.

Thanks.

Comments (14)