SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_689502553

Any almond tree experts here? Need urgent help please:(

HU-689502553
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have stratified many almonds that I bought from Israel and when shipped to Colombia. After about two months half of the 25 almonds grew very thick long roots, and took out the strongest ones and put them in coco peat under filtered bright light. After a week and a half they were all sprouting. But a month later I am left with 3 trees, one of them which measured 10 cm tall, died, after its leaves were drooping, then came back, then next day all drooping. I removed the tree from the soil, and found what I suspected, the roots had rotten, they were very very dark orange/brown, instead of firm and white, the stem was also kind of amber, dark dark orange. This is literally happening to all my almonds, they either grow a few roots, then rot, or straight up rot. I just cannot fathom what the might be going on. I used basically the same amount of water for all of them, I did not leave the coconut peat soaking wet, just damp, moist. So yes, only 3 of them have made them until now, and I moved them 2 weeks ago to just soil, soil which I tested too, and it is about 60% sand, 40% silt, I haven't seen much clay. I am not watering them every day, only until the soil is completely dry, I even stick a probe into the soil, to make sure it is also relatively dry down there. I have had them in full sun, it is not always sunny, but there is a good amount of sun, sometimes it is sunny all day. I take them at 9 Am, and bring them back in at about 6Pm. I am growing them in Bogota, Colombia, a little bit over 2,600 meters above seal level. Temperatures are usually 18° to 21° C during the day, and on most days 9 to 11° C at night, however, since they are in here at night, it is about 17° C in here. When I brought my two almonds in today, I looked at the stem, and started noticing the very lower part of the stem close to the soil turning amber as well. I am afraid the same could happen to this tree which, to me, has been growing beautifully so far, but this is again concerning... And getting this unpasteurized almonds was not easy for me, it took long, they were brought from across the Atlantic, etc... it is just frustrating.

I could provide photos of the stem of the trees that are still alive. I do not want them to die on me, this has taken time, and effort, and I am running out of almonds. I have a few in the fridge, but they opened in two, and did not grow a long root like the others, not sure if they are alive ready to be planted even if there is no root, there is a little thing, I cannot describe which is kind of the root but it is incredibly short, and the almond split in two but still held together.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths