SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_513079983

first time homebuyer looking for help in what to buy

Deena Kleinberg
2 years ago

Hey! It’s my first time buying a home i live in Philadelphia which is booming right now and super competitive making cost of living high. So I thought of buying a duplex renting out on unit and living in the other. I have a few questions and need some serious advice! I’m looking to make some capital bc I need some I’m tired of renting which road is the best way to go down in order to achieve that? 1. should I just buy a fixer upper with either a conventional mortgage and a low down payment use my money to fix it up while I live in it and then sell it once I’m done. ARV in my city is averaging at least 100k I could find one for $170k put $20k into it and sell it for $300k probs minus taxes etc I could make out with a decent profit. 2. Buy a duplex fix up one unit right away to rent out at a competitive price then use the rent to pay off the mortgage and the rest left over to fund fixing up my unit. 3. See if I qualify for an fha 203k construction loan and either use it to fix up my duplex property or use it to turn a townhouse into multiple units? Buying a house means I’m
Paying mortgage while fixing it up in hopes someone buys it I am almost positive someone will and I know I will have to pay capital gains taxes but if I make out with 70k in a year is that really a bad idea? I need help deciding what to do so I can stop being scared I’m making the wrong choice and finally go for it. Any suggestion? Thank you!!!!

Comments (17)