Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Reminder to Self: NEVER Buy A Warranty

4 years ago

...And never 'build in' an *appliance*.


When we built our home in 2000, I paid a pretty penny for a GE Monogram 42" side X side fridge/freezer with door panels to match the cabinetry. That turned out to be fine, but my decision to 'protect' my investment with a warranty at $12 a month was Just Plain Stupid. Learn from my mistake.


A few weeks ago we noticed some floor boards between the fridge and the dishwasher were warping. Water was coming from somewhere! I ordered an new dishwasher, and left the current one to dry out. The first appointment to service the fridge was 10 days out. I started winnowing the contents of both fridge and freezer.


The tech for the fridge was finally to arrive this morning. No show. He arrived at 1:00 and left at 1:30. He doesn't see a leak. He also had no help for my being unable to fix a problem with the fridge being too cold and the freezer being SuperCold. All he could suggest was to turn off one side; let it warm overnight; reset the temperature control -- then do the same with the other side. (Worth a try, I guess.)


I have now paid $2800 'protecting' my fridge/freezer. Were it to fail, I wouldn't get a warranty tech here in time to make any possible repairs before contents spoiled. I would have to call and pay for someone local. I would probably have to buy a new appliance anyway.


How could I be so dumb, for so long?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Whisler Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals