Question for those who don’t sew
4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (14)
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Discussions
Why don't my ornamental alliums look like those in the pictures?
Comments (5)There are many variations - but I suspect that yours may be starting slowly from too much heat. Can you arrange some shade/filtered sun using other plants nearby? If you started from seed, Allium can look like tiny grass the first year when it sprouts - so be careful not to pull grass-like seedlings in that area! Yes, for several years new seed and small bulbs will grow larger and be more rewarding each season. And if you cut (mince and eat like chives) the leaves about the point where they flop, you may find that your Allium begins to feed bulbs and multiply from the base. The flowers will throw seed - or you can collect the seed when it begins to dry - and perhaps begin seedlings indoors, or in shade before planting out, to minimize heat-struggle. Flowering Stalks should be firm - so provide mulch &/or Am water if possible. Once flowering begins, it is normal for leaves to flop and die back to feed bulbs. We have opposite problems. I recently moved massive droopy peonies that were not blooming enough, and some over-vigorous clumps of ornamental Allium (medium size purple-globes) to the sunny front garden, and took care - so that the ground does not parch in peak sun...as that is the only spot where that is a risk for me. I added compost and to help hold moisture, and bulbs are aided by a top moist mulch, and the variety of other plants all around for filtered shade at the base. I intend to eat most of the spicy leaves as I don't care for more Sword-play in my garden by late spring - after masses of tulips, narcissus, and hycinths have quit and the lillies and iris are taking over...and Crocosmia ileaves are waiting to join the dance. I'm adding a Dahlia border to the sword beds...and am excited that a Bachelor's button has already pushed thru the mass of swords to bloom cutely. All are worth growing - in their display seasons. Growth and dormant seasons is balanced with other Perennials and annuals. Adding sheer Dahlia foliage mass to existing Roses and monster Rhodies - and by gosh, there's not much dang subtlety about who rules each season in this section of the urban rain forest. Whoo-ah...now to get back to that rain-or-shine deadheading - or the jungle-look will rule. Having so much Spring rain in the PAC NW - we wind up with too much foliage & dense shade unless we deadhead, prune, pull, divide and hack back plants regularly. Wonder if I'll get the courage to prune that lush Magnolia this year - for more light?...See MoreQuestions for those who have sewn or had made drapes from panels
Comments (14)I am a seamstress. The previous posters were correct in suggesting you may need more panels to make your drapes sufficiently full. No "professional" is going to hand sew your drapes together. As a professional, to do a professional job, she will have open the seams at the sides, which means undoing the top and hem as well, to stitch the panels together. She should either serge the seams together or use a French seam. The entire top seam will have to be ripped open to add the pleating tape and re-stitched. Generally, there needs to be four inches of fabric at the top to cover the pleating tape. You can have her make the pleats for you, and they will be permanent. Or you can buy the more expensive hooks that make the pleats by themselves. The work of the seamstress is greater than you'd think, because she has to take the vertical seams apart before she sews the panels together. The entire top hem will need to be picked or razored apart, the tabs removed, pleating tape added and a new seam at the bottom edge of the pleating tape. She will then re-stitch the hem where she took it apart to stitch the panels together. Razoring all the seams apart carefully and putting them back together, adding pleating tape, re-doing the hem, I'd estimate $250 to $275. She should ask to see them, first, though, to make sure there's nothing that would make them taking them apart more difficult....See MoreFor those who enjoy...Don't forget Dallas in an hour
Comments (7)Looked at the family tree and that answered the question of how Lucy was related to JR and Bobby. I knew she was a niece but couldn't recall who her parents were. Now I remember the other son, Gary and how Knot's Landig came about. Was Anne in the original program and why on the family tree is there a line drawn as a connection from John Ross to Elena?...See MoreDon't throw those triangles or HSTs away........
Comments (37)I made so many mistakes while making the March Pinwheel blocks. I had a lot of nice fabrics tied up in the mis-cut and mis-sewn blocks. I wanted to salvage it. I picked some blocks apart, recut others, and am making HST and QST blocks to add to my “bits and pieces” stash. I have to hang my head in shame. Some women get entire tops together in a weekend. I accomplished four 4” QSTs! I had to frog stitch two of these to get the points to at least try to match up....See More- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Stories

LIFEYou Said It: ‘Just Because I’m Tiny Doesn’t Mean I Don’t Go Big’
Changing things up with space, color and paint dominated the design conversations this week
Full Story
LIFEHow to Celebrate National S’mores Day When You Don’t Have a Campfire
Too hot to toast marshmallows? Never got around to building that fire pit? These recipes are for you
Full Story
EVENTSDon't Throw Away Another Household Item Before Reading This
Repair Cafe events around the world enlist savvy volunteers to fix broken lamps, bicycles, electronics, small appliances, clothing and more
Full Story
FUN HOUZZ10 Things People Really Don’t Want in Their Homes
No love lost over fluorescent lights? No shocker there. But some of these other hated items may surprise you
Full Story
STORAGEHat Storage: Don’t Get Bent Out of Shape
From boxes to hooks, we look at ways to keep your lid on straight in time for summer hat season
Full Story
FURNITUREThink You Don’t Have Room for a Big Sofa?
Rethinking its position and finding a sleek style are just two ways to help a sizable couch fit neatly into your home
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGDecluttering — Don't Let Fear Hold You Back
Sure, you might make a mistake when tackling a decluttering project, but that's OK. Here's why
Full Story
MOST POPULAROrganizing? Don’t Forget the Essential First Step
Simplify the process of getting your home in order by taking it one step at a time. Here’s how to get on the right path
Full Story
FUN HOUZZDon’t Be a Stickybeak — and Other Home-Related Lingo From Abroad
Need to hire a contractor or buy a certain piece of furniture in the U.K. or Australia? Keep this guide at hand
Full Story
MOST POPULAR5 Remodels That Make Good Resale Value Sense — and 5 That Don’t
Find out which projects offer the best return on your investment dollars
Full Story

terezosa / terriks