SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Potato pancake secrets anyone?

l pinkmountain
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Mine are good, but really great ones escape me. I am pretty sure this is because frying anything on my accursed electric flat top range just SUCKS and I hate to use vulgar terms online, so it really really sucks big time for me to use that word. It just pulses, so they are either not frying and soaking up oil, or frying too much and getting too brown. I tried using an electric frying pan, but it also pulsed so was no better. Maybe I should use my butane stove this year out on the porch . . . brrr. I could probably use it inside, it is a chef's stove and doesn't off gas much and I have used it inside under a ventilation hood . . .

Anyone have any tips for making great ones? My biggest problem is getting even frying--done in the middle but not too crispy on the edges. I like to use yukon gold potatoes. They don't turn purple and I like the flavor, but they are not the most traditional.

So let's talk latkes. My other problem is trying to keep them warm but not get soggy while I make enough for a group if I have guests over.

What are your "go to" potatoes and techniques? Any fun shortcuts. I started using my Cuisinart. I "looked back" once and grated by hand again, but I actually liked the Cuisinart ones better and I really enjoyed having the extra time not spent grating and worrying about bloody knuckles . . .

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH