Childhood Mishaps You Laugh at Now
4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (23)
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Discussions
First Garden since childhood!
Comments (4)hi Tanya -- welcome, and sounds like you remembered a whole lot about gardening! Perfect on hilling the corn. I'd say don't thin the beans -- I plant them one inch apart in wide rows, and they shade out the weeds that way. Time will tell with the lettuce. Sounds like you've got a rollicking garden! I've heard people say the first year in a new patch of ground is the best, when you till and so much oxygen goes into the soil and so much nutrition becomes available to the plants. The way to keep your garden getting better and better is to keep on feeding your soil year to year in ways that will sustain its health. Lots of threads around here (and the organic gardening forum, and the soil and compost forum) that will let you know ways to do that. Also I love the book "Teaming With Microbes" -- great winter reading :) Happy gardening! (and eating :) )...See Moremishap
Comments (22)Well, I'M not laughing. Simply because this is something that would totally happen to me. AND it would happen as I'd have assembled a bunch of people to watch me use the epoxy. (My life is such a comic strip!) Anyway, when I used to be obsessed with long finger nails I would glue any broken ones back on (I promise I have a point). Anyway, nail glue is about the strongest adhesive I have ever seen (smelliest too) but, I would accidentally glue my fingers to the back of my opposite hand, to walls, counter tops, you name it and I've probably been glued to it in an attempt at pretty nails. Nail polish remover (with acetone) took it off everytime. Nail polish always has acetone in it unless otherwise noted. It sounds like you may need several bottles! P.S. I don't care about my nails anymore....See MoreOh no! Cooking mishap and how you solved
Comments (18)Well, my mishap occurred three years ago, but it will live in infamy in my family. Background: In addition to Christmas, between Dec 23 and 29 we also have four birthdays, so our family of six kids, six spouses, seven grandkids, Hub and I gather from far and wide for several days every year. Three years ago, one son and his family moved into their new home Dec 22 and wanted our entire family to gather in their new home - 21 of us. I was charged with preparing the meat. On Dec 22 I bought 15 pounds of beautiful beef tenderloin and a frozen duck. Because my fridge was full, I put the meats, well-wrapped in their butcher wrap and grocery store bags, on top of the newspapers in the recycling bin in our garage, which was perfect at 30°. Christmas morning I went to retrieve the meats. The bin was EMPTY! Recycling was picked up the day before, and Hub had dutifully put it on the curb. Panic on Christmas morning, not to mention mourning the financial loss. We pulled all meats of every description from our freezer, a couple chicken breasts, a couple hamburgers, a few pork chops, a very small beef roast, some salmon, and a sausage or two, and called it a Christmas Smörgåsbord. What can you do? Couldn't ask the kids to bring anything because they were already here! Stores were all closed. We had plenty of food because the sides and deserts weren't affected. It was a blasted nuisance to cook all the different meats, but delicious nonetheless. The upside was I got my freezer cleaned out, and I shan't be keeping this year's meats in the recycling bin....See MoreCooking mishaps
Comments (28)I can think of several, though none of my own. My mother was making a scratch cake of some sort, and Dad was in the kitchen talking to her while she mixed it up. She put it in the (wall) oven and let it rip. Shortly thereafter she noticed the flames in the oven. Apparently instead of a stick of butter, she had added the whole pound. It boiled over and caught fire. She blamed Dad. My sister was at my house, preparing for Thanksgiving. She was mixing up the batter for the pumpkin pies, using my hand mixer. Somehow she confused the 'eject' button with the 'turbo' button, and hit 'turbo' while the beaters were still partially in the bowl. We had pumpkin pie filling on the cabinets, the ceiling, the walls. We laughed so hard we cried, and I found pumpkin pie filling for months. DH's cousin lived with us for a while, and enjoyed cooking. One night, he concocted pork chops of some sort. They were good, but the sauce had a hint of what seemed like citrus. No, nothing odd. Just the pan drippings, thickened. Well, when I was cleaning up later, I asked him why the cannister of powdered sugar was out. Powdered sugar? Ooops, that's what he used to thicken the sauce. It worked!...See More- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNJulia Child's Childhood Kitchen Gets a Makeover
Drop in on the California kitchen that may have influenced a legend, now remodeled for a next-generation cooking and entertaining enthusiast
Full Story
PAINTINGHelp! I Spilled Paint on My Clothes — Now What?
If you’ve spattered paint on your favorite jeans, here’s what to do next
Full Story
HOUZZ CALLHow Are You Passing the Time at Home Right Now?
Share your thoughts about how you are coping with stress and staying grateful during this difficult time
Full Story
LIFETime Travel to Houzzers' Childhood Homes, Part 3
See postwar homes built by family members, rural farmsteads, cold-water flats and much more
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESDesigner Sketch: Jane Frederick
Learn about this Southern architect's inspiration, her favorite furniture and the one thing that never fails to make her laugh
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: Show Us the House You Grew Up In
Share a photo and story about your childhood home. Does it influence your design tastes today?
Full Story
MOST POPULARModern Party Etiquette for Hosts and Guests
Learn the mannerly way to handle invitations, gifts and even mishaps for a party that's memorable for the right reasons
Full Story
DOWNSIZINGSimplifying: How to Get Your Grown Kids’ Things Out of the House
Sorting through childhood possessions takes time and the buy-in of your kids. An organizer offers a helpful road map
Full Story
TASTEMAKERSCatching Up With the Queen of Shabby Chic
Rachel Ashwell defined a style embraced by countless fans over the past 25 years. Find out what she’s turning her sights to now
Full Story
COFFEE WITH AN ARCHITECTThe Brain of a Designer, in Diagrams
Ever wonder what's really going on inside the head of your architect or designer? Now's your chance to find out
Full Story
marilyn_c