SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

So, anyone been to Panama recently? I'm 3 for 6 on travel

mtnrdredux_gw
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I can't tell if Panama not quite ready for prime time, if it is too crime-y, or just not worth it.

In the past year, I have had to cancel 3 trips. The COVID restrictions made Bonaire an unworkable risk. My Dubrovnik trip was undone by my son's random whacky seizure a few days before (but I shall never ever complain since all is miraculously well).

Then, there is this Christmas. I never dreamed there'd be an issue since we are all vaxxed,and by the time we leave, prob even the kids will have boosters. However, Austria just announced a lockdown in some areas, vaxxed or not. Everything will be closed. O M G

This trip has been starcrossed. First booked for xmas 2020. Rebooked this past June. Munich, Kitzbuhel, Vienna, Prague, Krakow. My Vienna Air bnb randomly cancelled, twice. Never had that before. Lufthansa unilaterally cancelled our flight to Munich and neglected to tell me. Can you imagine? I fixed that problem a few weeks ago. Now, I don't trust them not to cancel again, since the whole area is a mess and that will impact demand even if Germany does not lock down per se. Luckily, today was the last day I could cancel the alpine ski portion of our trip, so I did. The other properties have very late cancellation terms.

OTOH, we did take advantage of no one needing to be anywhere and manage to go on 3 trips last year, too. St John, Belize, SMdA.

My whole holiday plans are predicated on small gifts and a tree at ThxG, then the travel was our present --- from Mid Dec until early Jan, so holidays abroad. It was a particular desire of my DH who believes our kids will not be travelling with us much longer (we should be so lucky; I've seen no such dimunition in interest!).

When I surprised the family with SMdA, one of the guesses was Panama. Everyone was interested. None of us have been. Ya' got an old city, the canal, rainforest and beaches. Direct flight. Some very nice hotels. I worry that the NYT has not really written Panama up; that is my litmus test for a worthwhile trip. Any input?

Comments (36)