SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellafrancene

Discovered no plywood under 2 cm granite countertop in new kitchen.

bellafrancene
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for bolstering a 2 cm granite countertop in a kitchen which was just completed. The electrician just pointed out to us that there is no plywood under the two granite countertops. The countertops are 25 1/2 deep. One countertop is 122 inches long with an undermount sink and dishwasher and a slight bend. This counter has a 16 inch granite bar extension (which does have plywood) above an 8 inch backsplash. However, the bar is supported by plywood alone, no bolsters or corbels. The countertop on the other side has two pieces around the stove, one 73 inches the other 33 inches. We have been out of the house due to work and health reasons after extensive water damage. I would rather not tear apart the entire kitchen, as we have finally moved back in after 8 months; but I will if I have to. Obviously, that would be "ideal." I am wondering, is there any alternative? Obviously, the granite sub-contractor is no good, and I don't trust his judgment about how to correct it but that is where my contractor is going to go to try to fix it. Any informed advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (8)