SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_323302989

Will a 10 yard English Ivy trellis work here?

William Benson
2 years ago

Recently my neighbor and I both removed trees and limbs in our backyards in central NJ, zone 6b). now theres very little privacy between us under the canopy of our border trees. Between the large tree on left and closest tree in group on right Id like to do something for privacy. My issue is that its shaded, deer heavy, and the shrubs would have to be evergreen. id also like them to grow quickly. Ive learned this combo doesnt really exist. My idea is, and i know its unpopular, english ivy. english ivy seems to be only cold hardy, evergreen, fast growing option i have. Though it's not deer resistant, but it's still top of my pros and cons list.

I know ivy grows well on buildings but what about a wire fence? I'm picturing potential possibilities of stand alone trellis' with some spacing between them, staked into ground. Also imagining cool idea of running wire from left tree to right 6ft tall and somehow connecting wire mesh from it to the ground. not having the mesh close to the trees so i can keep i away from them (picture an apron tied to two posts).

anyway, been going crazy over this because particularly now as leaves fall, as i took this picture for this forum i thought maybe they think i'm taking a pic of them.

Comments (11)