SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave_johnson155

How hard is it to add a zone to an A/C system (Lennox iHarmony)

Dave Johnson
2 years ago

My house is 2 stories (3100sqft) and originally had a 2-zone system. That system was 23 years old and basically reached end of life. I recently replaced the entire system with much more modern equipment:

• Lennox EL18XCV variable stage A/C
  • Lennox EL296V two-stage (variable speed) furnace

They will also be installing a iHarmony zoning board soon (it was backordered). Originally, when we set up the work plans, they said they would try to have the upper level of the house split into 2 zones (for 3 zones total, which I know the zoning system can handle). But now they are making that sound like they don't necessarily want to do it.

There are two thermostats in wall already corresponding to the current two zones (one on each level). These are old basic thermostats. I know that the plan moving forward is for the main Lennox iComfort smart controller interface to replace the downstairs thermostat, and something simpler will replace the upstairs thermostat.

What other work would be needed to make a new zone upstairs? I imagine a thermostat device of some sort needs to exist in every zone (otherwise the system cannot receive feedback about the temps being reached). Does this require new wiring in the walls? Or is there some simple plug and play theromstat they can install that wirelessly communicates with the zone system?

Our upstairs consists of 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I know that from the main plenum, 2 ducts cover that floor, each one hitting 2 beds and 1 bath. So it would seem the perfect candidate for 2 zones upstairs, especially considering how unevenly this level heats as the sun shifts throughout the day. Thoughts on whether it is a good idea to push for the extra zone up here? I can't think of any downsides.

Comments (7)