SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherry_pepper

Can I replace this wall with a decent header

Frank Marsh
2 years ago

This walk out basement is 33' x 36';

I'm interested in replacing the interior load bearing wall on the right half of the picture with a header for its entire span, or at least opening the doorway to accommodate French doors or triple bypass barn doors.

The dimensions of the right half of the room are 16' x 36'. If is 16' from the outside wall on the far right, to the staircase wall in the middle of the picture, and 36' the way the floor joist in the ceiling above are running, with the ends being overlapped with each other over the wall.

The area above this is a large open plan living and kitchen space with an island. There is a second floor above that that ends about where the partition wall in the basement is. And, there is obviously a roof above all of that that needs to handle a snow load typical (whatever that is these days) of the inland northwest.

I'm trying to use an online calculator like https://learnframing.com/wood-beam-calculator/, but don't know if this wall is just carrying load from the first floor, or also the second floor and roof. The wall doesn't look particularly beefy, but I've had contractors give different vibes about how easy or not this would be to replace.I think there's a general rule that a 2 x 2"x10" header should be able to span 16 feet, but I'm not sure that considers all the load this header would be taking?

1) What would I be able to do with span and header height of a steel header? How much more expensive is that then wood? I think they also need to support it with metal posts into the concrete?

2) If I stuck with traditional 2"x10" framing, what size door opening could I get here with 2 x 2"x10"s?

3) Is there anything else I should consider when talking with contractors (before or after accepting a bid) about this part of the project? I assume I can insist an engineer or architect look over the change? But, I'm not sure how to find one. Or, should I just do that now before hiring a contractor?

Thanks

Comments (28)