SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sambrooks09

Boosting a 1920s Brick Home's Curb Appeal

sambrooks09
2 years ago

My wife and I bought a 1920s brick home this past May. This is our first home and one that is in need of a refresh both inside and out. Looking at its current state it's not exactly an eye catcher but I know there is potential. I don't think it would take much to boost this homes curb appeal.

With that being said, my wife and I have been coming up with ideas on what we could do. We are not opposed to painting the brick however if we were to paint the brick it would either be white or a darker color. My wife and I lean more towards darker colors with our favorite being SW Urbane Bronze with Tricorn Black trim. I also like how clean a white painted brick with black trim looks but feel like this is currently being overdone in my opinion.

There is also the option of just pressure washing the brick cleaning it up and leaving it as is. We are leaning towards this option as brick requires zero maintenance and would allow us to throw money somewhere else. If we were to leave the brick as is at the very minimum we would paint the outdated yellow trim to black. I have always like the look of natural brick and black trim and feel it has a sophisticated look.

Bringing some color into the landscape is a must to. As you can see from the pics our house sits up on a hill so I NEED to plant something on the steep hill as you see (mowing this hill is not fun), maybe a mondo grass or some other low maintenance plant. I think some cool things could be done with the yard being terraced as well. Any ideas?

We will be getting a new roof as well. If we were to go with the natural brick and black trim would a black roof be too much. Should it be a lighter color?

Also, the carport you see on the left will be torn down with the brick columns being kept for a pergola and patio area.

Oh yeah, I need a new driveway too so there's that.. lol

I have attached some pictures here and would appreciate any feedback, tips, or any other advice! Thanks!

Comments (14)