SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_donodeo

Gutting My Kitchen - 30 vs 36 range and other layout questions. Help!

John
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

So I've been in my house for just over a year, and am going to gut my kitchen. I've already done a lot to the house already, and my outdated kitchen (it has Formica countertops/backsplash - gross) is so central to the main floor, it really has to go.

I've attached some sample layouts of the window wall and the opposite fridge wall. I am torn between the 30 vs 36 range and also if I want a second built-in convection oven/microwave combo or not. My kitchen currently has a cooktop and two wall ovens and an over-the-range microwave. I definitely want a hood, and my professional chef friends are steering me towards a full range. I am not a serious cook at all (I'm a single guy late 30s and live alone haha), but I want to actually change that and also "future proof" my kitchen as much as possible (even knowing trends will always change).

My kitchen isn't ginormous, but it is a good size. The peninsula on the left side is sort of an "island" with my sunken sunroom - 3 chairs on the ktichen side, and 2 down in the sunroom as sort of "bar" seating. The range is near the dining room on the other side, and I think I'm going to get rid of the "serving peninsula" there because the designer said it limits cabinets and where the range can go.

Basically, I like the symmetry arond the window in the version without the dining room peninsula, but that has the 30 range. Designer is trying to get as close as possible to that with the 36 range.

For the fridge wall, I like the idea of some counter space to the right of the fridge, as that makes it feel more open as you enter the kitchen from the foyer. But, if I want a second convenction/micro oven, that really limits where I can put it, and I guess it will have to go beneath that counter.

Also, trying to have some "special" on each side of the window - so range on one side, and glass cabinets on the other. BUT, if I do the counter space to the right of fridge, glass cabinets can go there too.

Would greatly appreciate any advice! Really trying to get this right, since kitchen is so important to house value (and is so central in my house).

Dimensions-wise, my kitchen is about 17 ft (length) by about 8ft (more like 12ft if you include the counter/cabinet depth on both sides, which I don't think you do, since that's not space we will be able to walk in).

Comments (14)