SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
timothy_larson64

How is the island attached to the slab? Is how level it is important?

Timothy Larson
2 years ago

I've got an independent countertop fabricator coming to take a look at my kitchen to quote a job for me in the next few days. To prep for this, I am tearing my old countertops off and was going to reskin my island (I don't know if this is necessary since he's just coming to take a look at the job to put together a quote.)

After I took the island formica top off I took a laser level and checked to see how level the base cabinets are. For a four foot island I found that one side is about a quarter inch higher than the other. I figured I'd shim the bottom of the cabinet on one side and reattach it to the floor cleat, but I can't for the life of me figure out how it's installed to the concrete slab unless it's just little brad nails holding it in place.

Everything I've read says installers typically anchor a 2x4 cleat to the floor and drill or nail the cabinet to the 2x4. But I've taken off all of the island skin and toe kick and can't find anything, yet it is down soild.

Here is a photo of the toe-kick with the skin removed.

Pay no attention to the horrid paint job the previous home owner left me with, I'm going to reskin and paint the sides and back of the island once I figure out the level problem. I was hoping to resikin it before the countertop fabricator comes, but I'm not sure at this point.

Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I need to. Should I just leave it? (Since I haven't noticed my uneven island in the five years I've lived here.)

Comments (3)