SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheyenne_sciascia11

construction loan percent completed to borrowed

Cheyenne
2 years ago

Hello,

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I just don't understand. I hope this makes sense.

We are part way through the construction process and the lender is now telling us because there is a difference between what we have borrowed to what we have completed they expect us to fund the next couple of draws until we get back in-line with the build (currently 35% completed and 55% drawn). The issue here is that we have pre-purchased a lot of things like appliances, tile, cabinets, fixtures, doors, windows, and wood flooring. Since there is a global shortage we didn't want to risk delaying the build because we couldn't get the product in time to install. We placed orders early to get ahead of the issues. We have not spent over our loan amount so I am confused as to why I am expected to pay more cash out of pocket, isn't that what the loan is for? I already gave them the 20% down they required at the beginning. The lender never mentioned that we should keep an eye on the amount spent in relation to completion. I guess I just assumed that they financed the loan for the amount and they would cover what was needed. I feel like this is coming out of left field and the lender should have brought this up a long time ago so we could keep a better eye on spending in relation to job completion. I offered to return the flooring which would make up about a $10k difference, I'm still waiting to hear back form the bank.

Our house is fully framed and roofed, the plumbing, electric, and HVAC rough ins are happening this week and the windows and doors will be installed within the next 7-10 days.

Is this normal procedure for construction loans? I asked the bank to help us find an alternate solution, hopefully they can work with us. Have you guys dealt with this? Any advice?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio