SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Transplanting mature 20 yr old Anna Olivier - will it work?

jacqueline9CA
2 years ago

As I have previously mentioned, because of the fire risk, our county and also our town have passed laws which are being interpreted by our fire dept. The fire dept has told us specifically that we need to take down ALL of the roses which were climbing up our wooden shingled Victorian house. So, slowly we have been doing that, and I plan to try and transplant 2-3 of the shorter climbers into our new rose garden.

So, yesterday my DH and I (he did ALL of the hard work - sawing the huge canes, digging up the plant, digging the enormous hole, and moving the very heavy old cut down plant) cut the AO way down, and moved it to a new home in our new rose garden. Because that AO was originally planted in a rectangular plastic pot (with no bottom) about 14" high and 24" wide, we got lucky, and the part of the roots which were in the pot stayed intact, and we also were able to get some other roots from below the ground. If this does not work and it dies, I am also rooting cuttings of that AO, and they are doing well so far.

The first pic is before we touched it, the second is a close up taken right after we planted it, and the third shows where I hope it will climb - up and over the fence onto the round arbor, to meet up with Duchesse de Brabant and Rosa de Lizy, who are sprouting on the other side now, after they got more light from the removal of a giant bush.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio