SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
need2seegreen

any way to make shipping labels safe for composting?

Hi -

I realize this is perhaps odd, but I have a hangup about my old shipping labels (bc sometimes they have my phone number on them, or these days a QR code, containing idk-what information ...)

I know I could just toss them and cross my fingers (and, I may do that ... at some point). All my data's already been stolen, but, I do worry a bit.

I have a big pile of them, and I have googled how to destroy them and so far, there isn't an easy answer. It is hours of work to cut them up by hand and they'll clog a shredder. I don't want to sharpie them either. That too would take hours and the marker smells.

Is there any reasonably benign / non-poisonous substance I could soak them with, in a bucket, which would render them back to just being paper pulp?

If I could just erase the ink, great. If I could make it into something I could put in the recycle bin, even better. Composting would be for extra credit (esp as I don't compost yet...)

I know there are other people like me out there - are there people who know about chemistry on these fora? I am going to post this in 6 places bc I didn't see a group that fit just right.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Comments (5)