SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Suggestion for smaller, colorful shade shrub

I'm in zone 7A, in the foothills of western NC.

I'm wanting to improve a smallish area in my back yard, on the North side of my house. The house keeps it shaded, but it at least gets some reflected light because my Purple Heart does well there. It also has mondo grass, hostas, coral bells, and poorly-placed Autumn Joy sedum:

You can see that the sedum gets large, but falls apart. Which I'm sure is because it doesn't get enough sun:

I'd like to replace the sedum with some sort of shrub, so I'm hoping you all can make some recommendations :-)

My dream list is:

1. Not too big, maybe 3' x 3'

2. Evergreen

3. Preferably colorful so that I don't have a big green section where everything blends together; I love the colors of my sunshine ligustrum and fringe flower shrubs, but they're full sun

4. Hummingbird and butterfly attractant is great, but it's close to the back door so I'd prefer it to not attract bees

It also needs to be:

1. Ant, mole, and vole resistant (the area is enclosed so there's no risk of deer, and only a little risk of rabbits)

2. Good with moist soil (there's no sprinkler here, but the gutters from the roof direct here and it's enclosed with the foundation on one side and a paved sidewalk on 2 other sides)

3. You can see in that first pic that the dryer vents to this area, so it will go through periods of high humidity

I'm kind of leaning towards a barberry, which I think would be OK in this level of shade. It's taller than I'd like, though, it loses leaves in the winter, and I'm reading that they might attract ticks? So maybe not.

Comments (24)