How the Vietnam War connected us, and a thank you
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (22)
Related Discussions
How Gardening connects us
Comments (6)YES, YES AND YES!! My first real garden - about 20 years ago - was a most effective psychiatrist! Immediately after work, I would jump into some old clothes and attack the weeds in my garden. In about thirty minutes, not only was my little garden weed free, I was stress free. During my husbands' long illness, gardening was impossible but I still got that gotta-dig-in-the-dirt itch every spring. We were in Tampa the last year of his life and I watched the seasonal changes longingly. (Florida DOES TOO have seasons!) It wasn't until I got a new computer and was on line that I discovered The Garden Web quite by accident. WOW!! Here was a whole world of knowledgeable people who were delighted to answer all my dumb questions! And people not five miles from me who held plant swaps - a term I'd never heard before. HOW COOL!! Now, like so many of you, I have plants and trees that will forever be reminders of the lovely people I've met, their generosity and our delightful get-togethers. I love you all!! cora...See MoreHow to avoid a neighbourhood war?
Comments (14)Oh dear, Woori, I really feel for you. I lived next door to the "neighbour from hell" for years. The main bones of contention were (a) our refusal to let her dog "play" in our yard (its idea of playing was to chase our cat and try and kill it - she thought the answer was for us to get rid of our cat) and the temerity of us to try and grow shrubs in an attempt to screen her view from her high set kitchen window - looked straight onto the side of the house where our main entrance was located. It wasn't so much that she could see everything/everyone, but she started abusing our friends, as well our young children. After considerable pruning/hacking on her part (unfortunately you seem to need witnesses for a successful action for trespass/malicious damage), we put up a timber screen - which she tried to demolish as we were building it. She also used to throw things over the fence - her garden prunings, rubbish off the street, etc. My daughter, who was about 6 or 7 at the time, was having a picnic lunch in the garden with her girlfriend and madam threw a beer bottle over the fence which hit the friend on the head!! Luckily, no damage to head but it could have been very nasty. After many years of putting up with her, I came home one day to find a huge mass of prunings thrown over the fence at the front of the garden. I was so peeed off!! Went to trusty printer and printed up a very clear sign which said "Mrs Wright throws her rubbish into my garden", fixed it to a garden stake and hammered it into the front lawn in the midst of the mess. I got a letter from her solicitor threatening me with defamation (he should have been threatening libel - some solicitor) if I didn't remove the sign. On the Chamber of Magistrate's advice, I wrote to the solicitor telling him I would remove the sign if madam desisted from "the following actions", which comprised a list three pages long. The sign stayed there until it more or less fell to pieces, along with the rubbish (now that took determination). We finally decided to sell the house and move on. I now have two rental units next to me and have had partying young people, couples with major domestic problems, a couple of leases to drug addicts, and one lot of very noisy and messy petrol heads. But compared with madam, truly wonderful neighbours. Re the Chamber Magistrate - in NSW a solicitor (who has a chamber in the courthouse??) employed by the courts to offer legal advice but does not actually take on cases. There is no charge for the service. I guess there is a Victorian equivalent. After tearing my hair out with police, council officers, paying solicitors to write letters, etc., I found the Chamber Magistrate very helpful and sympathetic....See MoreStar Wars: The Force Awakens! (No spoilers please if you comment)
Comments (25)kswl, the only new main character we enjoyed watching was Rey. amylou, I had heard about it too. I was so ready for the movie to end (bathroom break, please!) it didn't phase me. DH and I decided Lea looked great (who hasn't heard about her weight loss before filming) but basically botox face during her moments. Barely any facial movement/expressions. Did not know Domhnall Gleeson was in the movie - loved him in (and the movie) About Time. Enjoyed his bits. We also like Adam Driver, but didn't enjoy his role as much as we hoped....See MoreI am a veteran (of the Vietnam era)
Comments (33)Thank all of you who served. Dad was in WWII, a radio operator in the Pacific arena. As he tells it, his group were asked if they wanted to go to the South or North Pacific. Being an oddball, loving colder climates, he was one of the few in his group who chose North Pacific. The rest of the enlistees from his group mostly chose South Pacific... and except for two, did not return. I really don't know if enlistees had this sort of choice, but that's how he told it. But being in the North, he didn't see any real combat. He spent some time at a base in Siberia (he loved that), and rode out a tsunami at sea, His main personal battle was with a Kodiak bear on the Aleutian Islands, Also, the ship he was aboard (he was in the Army, not the Navy, but there was overlap in deployment) was fired upon by native Aleutian Islanders because some men on the previous ship calling at that same port had taken highly unwelcome liberties with the women on the island....See More- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
Related Stories

MY HOUZZ TVMy Houzz: Olivia Munn Thanks Mom With the Kitchen of Her Dreams
The actor hires a design professional to help update the kitchen, living and dining areas
Full Story
MOVINGTips for Winning a Bidding War in a Hot Home Market
Cash isn’t always king in a bidding war. Get the home you want without blowing your budget, using these Realtor-tested strategies
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: Show Us the House You Grew Up In
Share a photo and story about your childhood home. Does it influence your design tastes today?
Full Story
HOUZZ CALLShow Us the Best Kitchen in the Land
The Hardworking Home: We want to see why the kitchen is the heart of the home
Full Story
MATERIALSAre You a Maker? Show Us Your Favorite Tool or Material
Houzz Call: A tool or material can be a maker’s best friend. We’d like to see your favorite — and what it helps you achieve
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: Show Us Your Nutty Home Fixes
If you've masterminded a solution — silly or ingenious — to a home issue, we want to know
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDHouzz Call: Show Us Your One-of-a-Kind Chicken Coops
Do you have a fun or stylish backyard shelter for your feathered friends? Post your pictures and stories in the Comments!
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNShow Us Your Fabulous DIY Kitchen
Did you do a great job when you did it yourself? We want to see and hear about it
Full Story
LIFETell Us: What Made You Fall for Your Kitchen?
Show the heart of your home some love for Valentine’s Day
Full Story
FUN HOUZZTaking Cover in a Former Nuclear Missile Silo
A Cold War relic is now a modern home, thanks to an Australian architect with a flair for the unusual
Full Story
blfenton