SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
csstile

Have you checked your Pro listing lately?

Have you checked your Houzz Pro listing lately? You might be surprised at what you find especially when you use different devices with different web browsers and with the Houzz App.

Below is an exchange that I had with Houzz support. It will explain the issues I reported and the Houzz Support responses. The bottom line is that Houzz Support says the way Pro listings are implemented is the way it should work even though the results are inconsistent and can drastically change the order your listed dependent on the device, OS, and application combination used. They also say if you pay more and upgrade to the Houzz Pro Premium package you won't have the issues.

(Have you ever watched the movie Tommy Boy where David Spade and Chris Farely are trying to get to Chicago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccoVuu_uovw

That's what it's like trying to get Houzz to understand this issue, and many others I've reported in addition to their standard answer, "You need to upgrade your Pro Account".

Note: My responses are indicated by "CSS" and Houzz "Houzz Support"

Houzz Support: I hope this email finds you well! As mentioned in our call earlier, you are on the Essential package which does not include premier directory placement as do the professionals on the Ultimate package. However, you do have a very strong profile and this is what helps get the spotlight on you in the listings. It is possible that the discrepancy among the web browsers/ app has to do with searched locations (like Houston, etc.) since that is not the city listed in your address on your profile.

CSS: The searched locations I did were Round Rock, TX and Austin, TX with 50 mile radius. There were NO other searched locations. The issues are with these my two local locations ONLY.

Houzz Support: If you search Austin, Tx you will still be in the #1 spot since you are within a 15-mile radius of Round Rock. The listing may still show up in other cities that people usually search within a 50-mile radius, but it wouldn't be as high of a ranking as your home city of Round Rock.

CSS: That is incorrect. The listing order changes dependent on the hardware, OS and application used.

Listed below are the search results using “Kitchen and Bathroom Remodelers” and location “Austin, TX” and “Round Rock, TX “. The results are inconsistent. The results should be consistent regardless of the hardware, OS or application. Use the OneDrive links below to view screen shots of the results for each as they may even be different dependent on what you use to view them.

iPhone – Houzz App

iPhone – Safari (Note: The order for both locations can fluctuate each time it’s searched)

Windows 10 - Edge

• Austin, TX – Listed 2nd
  • Round, TX – Listed 2nd

Windows 10 - Chrome

Houzz Support It also depends on any other filters that are applied in the directory like mile radius, category, etc. We hope this helps! Please let our team know if you have any questions as we are always happy to help however we can.

CCS: No filters other than the following were used. The only filters I used are listed below:

• Professional Category (“Kitchen and Bathroom Remodelers”)
  • Location (Round Roc, TX or Austin)
  • Distance (50 miles) were used

Houzz Support: Thank you for reaching out! When it comes to being organically seen, when you search yourself, it will not be consistent. We have many users who go on Houzz in these areas and each time a professional or homeowner is searching on Houzz, the algorithm changes

CSS: When I search myself my search is done when I’m not logged in. It does not know I’m searching myself. Why would results be random and inconsistent in any case? What is the algorithm based on?

Houzz Support: Because you are not on our premium package you are being seen all over US and Canada. There is no way to consistently show you in your desired areas unless you are on the premium package. The view will always change. This will apply to all devices.

CSS: What does the premium package do differently and why does the premium package make the results more consistent. Why does being seen all over the US and Canada impact a specific location search? The view may change but it should be at least consistent across platforms, OS’s and Apps. This makes ABSOLUTEL NO SENSE!

Pro listings have been a core feature since Houzz began. It now appears that revenue is impacting the implementation and decisions being made. I can understand the features of the listing being charged a premium but not basic consistency of listing. Someone needs reevaluate this because you are going to start alienating your customer base who will find a different platform to promote their business.

Houzz Support: Please let me know if you would like to discuss options on marketing and I would be happy to connect you with a rep.

I hope you find this helpful. Please write in through the support tab if you have any further questions.

Houzz Support: The difference with the ultimate membership is they pay to target particular areas and counties that they want to have an impression in. Would you be interested in paying for target marketing in your area? I would be happy to have one of our growth team reps reach out to discuss the marketing aspect if that is something you are interested in upgrading to the ultimate plan.

The variance of you coming up can depend on the strength of your profile. It can be inconsistent when searching as we have professionals who pay for branding and target marketing on our website.

CSS: Strength of profile is not the issue. I’m listed first using the Houzz App on my iPhone. So why am I not listed first using web browsers on iPhone and Windows 10. That’s the issue! I realize I will be placed on my strength but it needs to be done CONSISTENTLY across device, OS and application.

Did you even look at the strength of my profile. I don’t think that’s my issue other than not being sponsored or having a higher Houzz Pro level. I will be listed high based on the strength of my profile.

• Houzz Pro Essential
  • 9 Houzz Customer Service Awards (2013-2021)
  • 25K Saves Badge
  • Recommended Badge
  • Influencer Badge
  • 67 5-Star Reviews
  • 1809 Photos
  • 147 Projects

Houzz Support: The difference with the ultimate membership is they pay to target particular areas and counties that they want to have an impression in. Would you be interested in paying for target marketing in your area? I would be happy to have one of our growth team reps reach out to discuss the marketing aspect if that is something you are interested in upgrading to the ultimate plan.

CSS: Again The issue is the INCONSISTENCY between various combinations of device, OS, and applications. Again, How do you explain that I am consistently listed first in my local areas using the Houzz app on my iPhone but 17th and 13th using iPhone and Safari?! Or I’m second using Windows 10 Edge and Chrome?! That’s not due to sponsored or higher Pro levels.

You know this is beyond ridiculous. We’re just going around in circles. I’m not asking to be listed higher. I’m asking to be listed CONSISTENTLY! And I should not need to upgrade and pay more for consistency.

AGREE that there is a consistency issue in Pro listings that needs to be fixed.
DISAGREE that there is a consistency issue in Pro listings no fixe required.

Comment