SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan_johnston17

south alley modified to be less maintenance - but now PLAIN and BORING

woodyoak
2 years ago

Earlier this year there was a thread about modifying gardens to be less work as we age. I thought maybe some of you might be interested in my 'be careful what you wish for...' experience in the south alley here. Last spring we ripped out all the shrubs and clematis vines in the south alley and replaced them with 'Biokovo' perennial geranium on the house side, moved the clematises to the arbour over the gate, and added more hostas on the shady, fence side. We left the ferns that were growing along the fence. This spring and early summer (April, May, June) were cool and dry; July was wet; August was HOT and HUMID with extended dry periods alternating with brief heavy rains. The new hostas all died and the existing variegated one is almost dead; the existing ferns are doing poorly; only one clematis has put out a bit of growth and a few flowers, so I hope it might survive and do better next year; the 'Biokovo' geraniums seem to be doing OK but the low planting is very boring! A couple of Bleeding Hearts have popped up from the neighbour's garden.

We were doing a bit of work in the garden this afternoon and I took some pictures of this now-disappointing space!

Before:

Today:

looking in from the gate:

The surviving clematis:

Definitely easier maintenance but booooring :-(

Has anyone else had this sort of experience with aiming for lower maintenance?

Comments (15)