SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

What do you use for mise en place bowls?

Lars
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have a good selection of these in L.A. in various sizes - almost more than I have room to store in my kitchen with limited upper cabinet space (I would never put them in lower cabinets). I have a set of six Italian glass ones that are my favorites because they have little handles on them that extend straight out from the lip on one side. I believe they are 3¼" diameter (not counting the handle), but I'm not sure, since I'm not in L.A. at the moment. They probably only hold about 1-1/2 ounces, but they are perfect for small amount of things, and I also use them on my scales when weighing 7 grams of something like salt, VWG, or olive oil when making pizza dough. I need six because I put them in the dishwasher after using them and then need more before those get washed. I also have about four ceramic ones that are a bit smaller, about 3" diameter, I think, that are black on the exterior and white inside. I don't like these as much because they do not have handles.

For larger quantities of something, I often use Japanese rice bowls, and I have a lot of those - so many that I brought two back to Cathedral City. I also have a bunch of Japanese bowls that are fairly shallow, and I use those a lot also.

Anyway, in Cathedral City, I only have the two rice bowls plus a couple of ceramic sushi dipping bowls, and those get used a lot. Therefore I decided that I would try to buy something similar to the Italian glass bowls, but I mistakenly ordered something significantly larger. Without paying much attention to their size, I ordered these custard bowls, which weren't what I expected, but I do think I will use them a lot. I won't use these for weight salt or any ingredients that are 10 grams or less, but they will be good for chopped onions and bell peppers.

Today I ordered some ceramic sushi dipping bowls because they are about the same size as my Italian glass bowls, and while I was at it, I ordered some Turkish "pinch" bowls - mainly because I thought they were pretty. In L.A. I have some beautiful (and expensive) hand-painted Italian bowls (I only bought two) and some hand-painted Spanish bowls - three sizes, which nest.

Time for me to make lunch, and so I will write more on this later.

Please share photos of your bowls, if possible. My pretty ones are all in L.A., and so it will be a couple of weeks before I will be able to photograph them.

Comments (47)