SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai_citrus_and_indoor_gardening

Grow lights contribuiting to nonstop blooms on orchid?

bonsai_citrus_and_indoor_gardening
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Thought I'd drop in and ask this, since I've been puzzling over it for awhile now.I have a phalaenopsis orchid that is very healthy, I've had it for more than 5 years, and it is huge. (I've posted photos recently on other discussions). It typically produces one to two large bloom stalks, blooms for between 9 and 15 months, and then drops them and rests for 9 months before producing a new spike. This year, to increase the season for my citrus I added some grow lights to my growing area. Last year, some time around the end of February it produced a bloom spike, and then a second in March. It hung onto both until about 2 weeks ago when the blooms finally died. As the bloom spike died, however, the orchid began to produce new spikes from the base. I have changed nothing in how I care for it except the grow lights which are a good 5 ft away. On one hand I'm curious. On the other I want to repot this guy, (it's pretty happy as is, but I'm not a fan of the pot and I'd like to shift the orchid a bit since it keeps spiking over the edge of the pot which makes staking a bit tricky), and a huge spike of top heavy blooms doesn't make that easy. If it is the lights I may have to figure out where to move a very large plant so it can get a rest.

Comments (12)